Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:22 AM   #1

I am in the market for a Multifunction printer. I have heard a lot of good thing sabout Canon, but I am not sure. My needs are printing pcitures. scanning, copying. Fax is not a big deal for me. I need something around $100 - $150 if less its better. However, I need something that prints good quality pictures. I also have heard that the cartirages are expensive, so what is a good printer whcih uses less expensive cartirages. I also would it to be able to print wirelessly if possible, although not a big deal.

Any recommendations

Cheers!!!
sid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:41 AM   #2

I would also like to add that I am a student. I have a Macbook so th eprinter need to be compatible. Also I will be using to print out a lot of documentts for school and scanning documents and copying all for school work. I will also be using it to print my digital pictures both color and black and white. Can I get all there features with good picture quality and low price.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3

Your price range allows for a small selection of multifunction printers though I doubt you will find something that will do wireless AND produce good prints and scans for the money you want to spend. Wireless ability ain't cheap! Some multifunctionals allow for scanning of film negatives.

You may want to look into Canon multifunctionals such as the Pixma MP500 (has fax and 5 ink tanks), MP510 (no fax, cheaper than the MP500 but only 4 ink tanks and slightly smaller LCD screen) and the MP600 (currently under $150 on Amazon including shipping and has some wireless capability). You can use aftermarket inks and cartridges but you will lose the ability of the printer to warn you about low ink levels - just keep you eyes on the levels and you should be fine. The older Canon MP780has cartridges that arenot chipped so you can use inexpensive 3rd party inks, but these printers are getting difficult to find and cost more than your budgetbut will save you more over the long run. Maybe an Epson that's amenable to aftermarket cartridges would be cheaper in overall cost of ownership. Look at the company web pages for info on their multifunctionals in you price range, then use google to look up reviews of specific units. Also, go to a computer store that has them on display and make some printouts of your own to see the output. Take your digital camera with pictures you already are familiar with so you can gauge the quality of the prints.

Some Reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_Pixma_...-31481114.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_Pixma_...?tag=pdtl-list

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_Pixma_...-32066901.html

There are pluses and minuses to each printer but the MP600 at it's current Amazon price looks pretty good to me.

Someone else will have to help you with Epsons, Brothers, HP's, etc.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:06 AM   #4

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
You may want to look into Canon multifunctionals such as the Pixma MP500 (has fax and 5 ink tanks)
Just to correct one minor inaccuracy there.. the MP500 does not have the fax capability, whereas the MP530 does..

For what it's worth, the MP500 was/is good.. (I've got 4 that I've setup for schools and one that I didn't want to let go of until I got an MP830) and the MP600 seems to do a better job so if you can spring for it, go the MP600 route.

At the same time though, spend some time on nifty-stuff forums and learn abour refilling your cartridges and the warranty issues (some info on that here too) as all Canons now are chipped and you invalidate the warranty when you start refilling but trust me on this.. it's definitely worth it!

Best of luck
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:42 AM   #5

Websnail:

Thanks for the correction. I had just read the review of the MP510 and done it too quickly and skipped a line to get to that errroneous conclusion:

"The Canon Pixma MP510 is a photo-centric all-in-one printer that combines print, scan, and copy functionality. It lacks fax capability, a feature that's more commonly found on office-oriented all-in-ones. It's slightly smaller and lighter than its predecessor, the MP500."

I should haveremembered that since I choose the MP830 over the MP500 because of the fax capability. As they say, haste makes waste.

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:57 PM   #6

The MP510 is a good solid money saver All in One but if you can splurge a little more the MP600 is great.

MP600: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828102041

MP510: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828102042

mp510: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PIXMA-MP...;s=electronics

mp600:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PIXMA-MP...;s=electronics

Amazon is cheaper but at newegg they throw in a free wireless router.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:44 AM   #7

Guys thanks for the suggestion,

I am wondering is Canon better than Epson, since almost evryone in the forum talks about Canon, than they do about Epson.

Anyways, I think I will go either for the MP510 or the MP600 since that is what you guys suggested and is within my budget. How much will the inks cost me, will I be able to use 3rd party ink with these Printers?

Another question, my gf also needs a printer but she wants to only print pictures and nothing else, So any good budget printers suggestions.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:46 PM   #8

The Epson printers guzzle ink purposely to make Epson huge profits. Nobody wants to buy a $80 printer and then pay $1000 for ink in the first year so Epson isn't very popular.

Your girlfriend should look at the IP4300 which is a great printer that can be bought after rebates for about $50. It will print great photos.

If she wants LCD then she will need to look at the MP510 or IP6700D both are a bit more expensive then the IP4300.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:46 PM   #9

I am now running the Mp 600 and it seems to be quite good---no fax---Amazon now has it for $144.00-free shipping. Other stores have it for 159 or so --make your choice -I'm happy with mine.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote