Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:47 AM   #1

I have just purchased both from amazon for 144$ each figured u can't go wrong. The Mp600 is hooked up since the family needs the scanner-copier functions. Now to the chipped carts -since they only hold about 2 tblespoons of ink I can see why Canon or anyone else for that matter might just give u one knowing that u have to buy 1K worth of ink a year. A post from a few months back struck me. By buying a second set of carts and never letting them go to low as to set off the printer seems like an easy way around the problem. Now since these take The Chromalife 100 inks is there a reliable source of getting ink in some sort of bulk with a refilling kit ??? I've also read some very good articles about the 6700d and some pretty bad ones. I'm very new to this and can still send it back since i never opened it up yet and have 2 weeks left.. The Mp600 will do photo's but if they are only as good as the 6700 whats the sense. I just want 1 pretty good photo printer thats not to expensive for my first plunge. Any and all responses will be appreciated. this is a great forum especially for this chipped cartrige. I'm also going down to my local refiller down the block to get his opinion on the whole matter and will post what he says. he's been in his shop for many years and i always had ny HP carts done there with no problem till it died so he might be in some sort of know. Thanks ---Chris-Yes I have 5 to many pets.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2

Looks like the 6700D has six CLI-8 color ink cartridges - Black, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta, Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan. These are all dye-based inks whose primary purpose is to make color pictures. Since there is no pigment black ink catridge, and if this printer behaves like other Canon printers, when you print a page of text (not a photograph) then the black or greyscale output will be due to a composite (mixing) of the colored ink.

Your MP600 has a pigment-based black ink cartridge, PGI-5 Black, which is used when printing just text (except for when printing in duplex mode where the output is composite black.). The Mp600 also has "only" four dye-based color ink cartridges - Black, Yellow, Cyan, and Magenta for printing color output.

Besides the obvious differences between the two printer, eg scanner/copier functions, number of nozzles, print speeds, etc., the 6700D with its two "extra" ink cartridges (Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan) may give truer more appealing photos to your eye while the MP600 will be more economical and potentially more pleasing "blackness"with text output.

If you can, go to a store that has the 6700D on display and print out a photo or two. Bring alongboth theimages stored on your camera or memory cardas well as the same images that you already printed out already on your MP600. You might want to bring the same paper as used with the MP600. You will then have a great comparison between the two.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:42 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. First off let me just say that both machines are home. The MP600 is up and running but the ip6700d is still in the box. My concern is the chippedink tankand at $13.00 for 1 with what looks like 12-13ml of ink can run into some money over time. They both take the CLI-8 tank. I've read many of the posts about this and have heard some good ideas. Buying a set of new tanks and changing the ones that are at the halfway point with a new one--in the mean time refill the one taken out and repeat. Refilling these tanks seems easy enough .This way the machine will always read a full tankunless you wait to long. Now thats all well and good but some people have said that the chip also counts the amount of times the nozzle is fired to also help in screwing us. Since a constant feed system with the tanksalways in will trip a nozzle count no problem. If the tank is changed and the nozzle countis reset to zero-no problem.But if the chip on the one taken out holds a count when put back in then bad. Also I've read that the tanks should not be refilled more than 5X due to posible build up of gunk and debris in the tank and or nozzle. With all this said that would appear to be a problem with the aftermarket ink mixing with the OEM. Since these tanks are Chromalife 100 inks I would be interested in buying only the best compatable ink. Its like making a generic drug. Since I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry when copying something 1 wrong little step such as temp or mixing will make your formula junk and you have to start all over. Copying even with the recipe is not as easy as it sounds unless you hireone of the bakers. So ANY ROCKET SCIENTISTS out there. I'm off to mr Cart-Man to see what he says. Sorry for all of this I've read so many my head is spinning.

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:16 PM   #4

From my reading, the Canon chipped cartridges will trigger the firmware to label the cartridge as empty/low and ask you to change it out for a new one. Ink levels are monitored but not (or not only) by an actual ink level in the cartridge, otherwise your thoughts on topping off would prevent the issues with refilling all Canon chipped cartridges at present.

No one is absolutely sure on how the Canon chipped cartridges work. What people have concluded is that after (or for some before) the empty message presents, one needs to enter in a series of button push commands to override the firmware. At that time, the printer's memory records your override and your printer will/may not be warrantied, although no one has challenged this in courtto my knowledge. After the override, the printer will no longer monitor and alert you to low/empty ink levels - you will need to visually monitor it yourself.

A continuous ink system (CIS)may negate the need to be as watchfull of levels since the external ink bottles give a constant feed to the cartridges. There are a variety of CIS systems out there but quality and longevity are varied.

Aftermarket cartridges available, with many regarding G&G cartridges as some of the best. There are spongeless, half sponge and full sponge cartridges, with many reporting that the spongeless appear to malfunction more often.

Anew maker of a CIS system (www.rihac.com.au)uses their own designed spongeless cartridges with USA manufactured inks, but, there are no user reports yet. I am waiting to learn more about this system as it seems to be well thought out.

There are nearly as many sellers of aftermarket ink as there are opinions. Strong contenders for Canon are MSI (http://www.inksupply.com/) and Hobbicolors (look on eBay).

Additionally, there is supposedly a new contraption that usessome sort of insert where the cartridges plug into the printer which will maintain the printer's ink level monitoring while usingtheir aftermarket cartridge and ink (cartridges costing one half of the OEM) (http://babel.altavista.com/babelfish..._139_3424.html)

How long you can refill cartridges before they become nonfunctional is varied. There are several methods for cleaning out cartridges that can and do work, at least for a while. Given you are using a better quality aftermarket ink not already contaminated,the goal to preventing fungal infection would be clean tools and work environment and keeping the cartridges open to air as little as possible. As far as issues with mixing of OEM ink and aftermarket ink, someone else will need to answer.

Check the posts in the Canon refilling threadshere and also check out www.nifty-stuff.com for more discussion and help.

Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:07 PM   #5

UPDATE--I went to Cart-World this morn to find out what they know about the chipped tank. There is a flash memory in them that no matter what the tank taken out and replaced will still register half full. They do sell tanks though and this is where the worm turns. They sell for $7 any tank for CLI-8 inks Chromalife 100. The tanks are cleaned out with water and a centrifuge to get all the junk out and then refilled. The ink they use is a reverse engineered Chrome-100 supplied by Cart-world since they are a franchise. They will give you a 5 page how-to replace the tanks and get rid of the errors so you can print. NOW I also said but would'nt using 3rd party ink void the warrenty. They had a page from some court opinionthat mentions Canon. Its the same law that allows you to have your oil changed in your new car not by the DEALER buta mechanic or shopof your choice. Since the dealers were voiding warrenties because people were not having the work done there. Makes sense. I did'nt get all the name since I ws asking many questions but it was MORGAN something at the top. Hope this helps some of us and I will dig deeper.--Chris
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:10 PM   #6

Hers the link---http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:00 PM   #7

The Magnuson-Moss Act has been discussed here and elsewhere. It's applicationin the current chipped cartridge issue has not been challenged, nor any other type of challenge concerning Canon's chipped cartridges. Everyone's waiting for someone else to do the heavy lifting.

Please get the ball rolling! :-)
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:38 PM   #8

Hi Guys,

We have just finished testing the new MP600 Canon printer. In short we have had to develop a CISS specific to this model. The main issue was the cartridge lock arm which has changed sides since the IP4200 release. We will list the new CISS for the MP600 on our website later this week. (www.rihac.com.au) we just need to finish off the instructions. Just be careful buying a CISS for this printer as some suppliers will just try to sell you a CISS which fits the IP4200. Fitting this style unit to the MP600 will end up causing issues as the control arm can restrict ink flow and in the worst case scenario pull out all the tube connections.

Regards,

Sam Cahir

www.rihac.com.au

any queries info@rihac.com.au (please post our answers if you send us a question to help others who may have the same question)
Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:47 PM   #9

Stratman - You refer to the 6700d as using Dye inks - I was led to believe that the 6700d uses Cli 8 inks chromalife 100 and are Pigment based inks Not Dye inks - or are they one and the same ?
mauronz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:01 PM   #10

mauronz wrote:
Quote:
Stratman - You refer to the 6700d as using Dye inks - I was led to believe that the 6700d uses Cli 8 inks chromalife 100 and are Pigment based inks Not Dye inks - or are they one and the same ?
It is my understanding thatCLI-8 ink is dye based whilePGI-5inkis pigment basedfor my MP830. The PGI-5 is a black pigmented ink used for text only printing as per some other more knowledgeable folks on this forum. I did a little bit of extrapolation for the 6700D since it appears to utilize the CLI-8 line of cartridges.