Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:27 PM   #1

My 13 1/2 month old Epson R800 has the "power" and "needs paper" lights flashing when I try to print. There is no paper jam. The paper trays are in the proper position. I have followed the flow chart on the Epson web site and find that I need to speak to customer service. Customer service wants $10. to talk to me. Any suggestions on what is wrong with my printer and how to fix it?
arthangups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:48 AM   #2

Sounds like the old service required message... which usually means that your waste ink tank is full..

If you can PM me an email address I might be able to help with the reset utility you need to reset it... (The SSC utility won't work at this stage unfortunately).

If that works you can then look at fitting an external waste ink tank:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Knowledge...00WasteInk.asp

Hope that helps.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. In the mysterious ways of all electrical and mechanical things, after 4 days of not printing, today my printer decided to work. I just hope it continues.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:27 PM   #4

In a case like yours, it sometimes helps to turn the printer off at the wall (or unplug it) for a few minutes (just powering it down will often retain the error state unless some action of the printer gods resets it.)

Equally, sometimes uninstalling the drivers and re-installing does the trick.

The 'waste ink pads full, service required' message is usually unmistakeable.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:48 AM   #5

Good point Idle...

Just as a pro-active thought, if you haven't reached the service required point yet then it may be worth getting the SSC utility now and using it to reset or at least check your waste ink counter. Reason being that the SSC util works before the service required limit is reached but it won't after.

Course if you would have sent it back to a service centre for repair anyway this is moot but just a quick nugget for you.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:09 AM   #6

I am really a novice but what is a SSC utility? Is changing this something an "nontechy" can do?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:08 AM   #7

Hello,

I have a general question about Epson printers. For owners of R800s, R2400s or the new Epson Pro 3800...etc.

I have an old C60. Ever since I first bought it I would get quirky results as either of the 2 ink cartridges approached the half-full mark. Even if the other was full. It would give me colors it decided it would like to print. Not the correct colors (e.g. like the colors on the page of a website). Has this happened to any of you?

When I was using my HP the colors would simply gradually fade till there was no more ink. The colors on the prints would be "accurate" but just look more washed out as the inks emptied.

Have yet to try a Canon.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:31 AM   #8

This will happen if a colour isn't feeding through correctly (clog, air leak, blocked air vent, whatever...) and applies to all inkjets -- indeed, probably all colour printers of any persuasion -- not just Epson.

Inkjets create the impression of different colours and shades by mixing ink dots -- if one basic colour doesn't feed correctly then the final colour won't be as specified.

Checking a bad printout with a strong magnifier will tell you which colour is missing and therefore which part of the ink system needs attention.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:51 AM   #9

Idle wrote:
Quote:
This will happen if a colour isn't feeding through correctly (clog, air leak, blocked air vent, whatever...) and applies to all inkjets -- indeed, probably all colour printers of any persuasion -- not just Epson.

Inkjets create the impression of different colours and shades by mixing ink dots -- if one basic colour doesn't feed correctly then the final colour won't be as specified.

Checking a bad printout with a strong magnifier will tell you which colour is missing and therefore which part of the ink system needs attention.
Hello Idle,

While that is true it seems Epsons have been more prone to clogging than other brands. Or so I've heard and experienced. But not with my HP as I mentioned. I owned that HP for a few years. Not a single hiccup. Just wondered if my color problem was happening with photo printer Epsons. As the R800's, R2400's...are said to be good printers (at least when they're working).

Read an article that did a shootout between 4 brands of photo printers. The R800 was I think the best performer. Producing the best output.

Was wondering if I shouldn't give Epson another chance. Or just stick go with another HP or try a Canon. Shrug...
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:50 PM   #10

I'm probably not the best person to give opinions on this, since my personal experience with inkjets has been mostly confined to Epsons with piezo heads -- apart from a very brief whirl in the 1980's with Siemens machines, of which the less said the better (you haven't experienced a real head clog unless you've used one of these...)

I'm currently on my third unit, having started with the original Epson Color in the early 1990's and yes, it did suffer from occasional clogs but trundled away for nearly a decade before finally wearing out.

Next was a Color 900 -- again suffering from clogs if neglected, but still doing duty in the workshop. From memory it's now six or seven years old and can still churn out a 100 page manual or a quite decent photo.

Current machine is an R310, now approaching two years old -- it has yet to suffer its first head clog.

All three were fed third-party inks after the original Epson carts ran dry -- the first two units by way of refilling Epson original carts (bought an extra set with each, never needed any more), the R310 has a CIS fitted.

Given its thirst for ink (which probably explains its freedom from clogging), the CIS seemed the sensible way to go and once the learning curve was past (bought the wrong unit originally, soon had to scrap it due to chip problems and leaks) it proved reasonably successful.

As to your not getting clogs with the HP, I assume it was/is a model with the print head in the cartridge, thus having the heads replaced regularly (some can be successfully refilled, but only until the head wears out, then the cart must be scrapped) whereas the Epson heads are lifetime units and only the ink tanks are changed (or refilled, if you have the know-how and courage...)

As I understand it, these and the similar Canon models use heat to vapourise the ink and spit it on the paper, so in effect they are steam-powered while Epsons (and later fixed-head Canons) use a mechanical pump action that remains cold.

My experience with Epsons has been that, provided you run good quality inks and (above all!) keep them clean and use them frequently, they'll be pretty trouble-free.

There is, however, a very noticeable difference between the manufacture quality of the first two units and the R310, which can only be described as flimsy -- I'm certainly not expecting ten years service from it (but of course it did cost a lot less, so I suppose that's relative.)