Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:32 PM   #1

I would like to buy a Photo printer to print greeting cards and up to 8x10 prints.I had a Photo Studio, but had to give it up after 4 back surgeries. I've been conditioned that Epson is the only way to go. Looking beyond initital purchase price what other printers should I consider? Reading the post here and other places I understand the Newest Epson models are ink hogs. For the cards, 100 year life span is not a neccesity, most will end up in a drawer or trash at some later point. I would like to print B&W, color, Sepia, and watercolor like effects. I have thousands of my own digital images, and I wouldn't mind possibly making some money, or at least putting them to good use. Please reply to this, I'm totally unknowledgeable about Canon and somewhat aware of the HP's. If money was no object I'd like the new HP thats about $600 and has a 13" throat. Right now I'd like to keep it under $150 to have an 8x10 printer. I'd like to learn more about real life cost, Ink consumption. Is there a place that charts this out? Thanks, Dave in PA
davsachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:01 AM   #2

Canon pixma ip6700 is the best matched for you. Reading some review on Amazon or over here, you going to have some idea.
siusiuenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:54 AM   #3

I had been considering the HP 13" carrriage model (9600 or 9800) which sells for about $300, and founda refurb at Tiger Direct for half that. Would have gotten it, but the wife surprised me with an Epson R1800 for Xmas. Lucky me!

The Epson is superb. I have heard that cost per print is a bit high, but I'm willing to make that trade for quality, especially since the printer was a gift. :-)

Good luck with your search.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check out Tiger direct. Once your setup and running I would like to know your thoughts on printing B&W from the 1800. The 800 was something I had in mind. Thanks, Dave
davsachz is offline   Reply With Quote