Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:43 PM   #21

Actually the print head is the same for the iP4200 as the iP5200: http://www.amazon.com/QY6-0059-Print.../dp/B000G77E4M The nozzle specs were the same on the Canon site back when they were listed. It is probably the same print head on the iP4300 and they just haven't listed it yet.

If the printer is to be your only printer the iP4300 is probably the best choice. The large pigmented black tank gives better text and is a lot more economical. The pure photo printers have to mix the colors to get black text or use the dye based photo black, either of which doesn't give really good text and is slower. The photo printers with the extra colors give a little better photo prints, but the photo quality from the iP4300 is quite good. Comparing prints from my old S9000 6 color photo printer and my iP4300 there isn't much difference, but they have improved on the S9000 which is a couple generations old now.

A 6-8 color photo printer can make sense if you have another printer you use for text. If that is the case you are just going to have to decide whether the little bit of extra photo quality is worth the large difference in price. As I said, photos from the iP4300 are quite good.

Inkjet prints aren't waterproof and tend to fade if exposed to light over time. I don't consider either a big disadvantage as it is easy enough to just print another. Dye-sub tends to give a little nicer prints that won't spot if you spill liquid on them and generally have better fade resistance. The downside is that prints are pricier, especially if you have access to good ink and refill.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:41 PM   #22

I'm going to get the iP4300. I just need a great all around printer. $100 sounds cheap for something this good. Staples had a $50 rebate even on it I think but that is
over for now. I'll watch prices.
Kyguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:42 PM   #23

Something that might be of interest: I see that there are continuous inking systems available for the ip4300 and many of the other Pixma printers. If you print a lot of photos, these systems can save you some $$ over time.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:10 AM   #24

Well I bought the iP5200 and have been impressed with the quality. But, I shall never buy another Canon printer. The inks are so expensive and don't last very long. To buy compatible inks I have found unsuccessful, having to prize off the chips and then place them on the compatible inks didn't work. I bought them from E-bay Germany. I had no problem in getting compatible inks for my Epson 8900 before, so why is it difficult to get comp inks for the Canon with chips?

Moonseye
moonseye is offline   Reply With Quote