Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:44 PM   #1

Hi all.

I have a Canon IP3000 that just started banding Cyan only. I have attached an image from paint of all the colors. Obviously this seems to be a problem only with Cyan.

I have done NUMEROUS head cleaning cycles on this thing to no avail. I suppose it could be a bad printhead. However, after realizing the price of new printheads is at least half the price of a new printer.. I am looking for any suggestions before I make my decission on what to do.

So, any thoughts on fixing this issue?

Thanks.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:06 AM   #2

Banding can and usually is caused by bad carts. If you are using cheap generic carts they can cause problems.

Refill Canon carts work great until the 5th or 6th refill and then they need to be thrown out or cleaned out.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:37 PM   #3

I have always used nothing but genuine Canon cartridges. No refills, no knock offs.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:31 AM   #4

Did the printer sit unused for awhile ?
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:46 AM   #5

I use it for text printing daily. As for color, I suppose it could have been a few weeks at most for not using color.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:05 AM   #6

Have you done a nozzle check to see if the colors are all flowing ?
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:35 AM   #7

The nozzle check appears fine as all the colors seem to be firing, except in that fact that the same pattern shows up as in the above sample.

For example. In the cyan, part of it is the normal color, the other part is the lighter, faded color.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:10 PM   #8

Then some nozzles are probably clogged. I recommend removing the printhead and either dropping a couple of drops of alcohol in the opening:

The other method is to try and sit the printhead into some water. Find a jar, put a paper towel folded up in it and add just a little bit of water to it. You don't want to submerge the print head since the electronic parts will get ruined.

Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:21 PM   #9

I have tried the alchohol method, which did not solve the problem. I have also tried the water soaking method to no avail.

I think the printhead is bad.. but I a simply at a loss as to why it would defect in this manner.

If anything, it is teaching me to stay away from seperate print head printers from here on out considering how expensive a new printhead is for this printer. I might as well purchase a new printer!

Why Canon, why?

Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:58 PM   #10

I recommend buying printers from local stores. They usually have great deals and I also recommend the extended warranty since they cover the printer for 2 years and will replace it should it it fail.