Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 29, 2003, 7:46 PM   #1

Default Canon i850 Photo Color/Quality Problem

I just purchased the Canon i850 and was playing with printing photos. However, after playing with different settings for about a day, the photos still did not look right. I used the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy and tried printing using Canon PhotoRecord, Olympus Camedia Master, and Photoshop 5.0. Driver has been upgraded to v7.4.0.

The problem is that the photos look like the contrast has been reduced. It also looks like there is a layer of haze over it, or over-exposed. When I activated "Preview before Printing", the previewed image was identical to the one in Photoshop, but showed significant difference in PhotoRecord (color fades, and image over-exposed).

All photos were printed in the following settings:
Paper: Photo Paper Plus Glossy
Print Quality: High
Color Adjustment: Manual, and ICM enabled.
Color Management setted to Auto, only sRGB profile was on the list.

I have tried calibrating the monitor and loaded the profile into Photoshop. Like I said, the preview image looked identical to the original image, but the printout was not.

I am new to digital photo printing and would appreciate any help and suggestion. Is it paper, ink, color profile setting, or something else?

Thanks,

Artur
ahpleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:20 AM   #2

have you tried printing from easy photo print (bundled with the printer).

or use pr-101 paper
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:04 AM   #3

wayne123:

Thank you for your suggestion. I just bought the Photo Paper Pro and played with some Photoshop settings:

Color Setting: using Monitor ICM w/ Monitor Compensation;
In the Print Menu, I chose "RGB Color" and un-check "Printer Color Management";
In the Printer Driver Menu, I chose Auto for Color Management, High Quality (1 setting with diffusion).

The contrast has been improved, and so does the color saturation. The prints still have a slight redish tone.

EasyPhotoPrint did not give me good results. The print out was just like the ones I made yesterday with the Glossy paper: reduced contrast and faded color.

Overall, the paper and the Adobe settings make a difference. I am still having a hard time matching the print to the one shown on the monitor. I have sent the image files to Shutterfly and have them printed a set for comparison.

Thanks,

Artur
ahpleung is offline   Reply With Quote