Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:59 AM   #1

The only real difference I can see beetween the iP4300/5300 and the iP6700D is that the 6700D has 6 ink tanks, while the 4300/5300 both only have 4 ink tanks.

My main goal is to print photos wich are LAB QUALITY. I want the quality to be as good as it gets without going overboard with the iP8500, and I heard u can actually get "lab quality" prints at home these days.

I read a review on Cnet.com wich stated that the only downside of the 4300/5300 was their print quality. And my reaction to that was "Are u people crazy?". But since Cnet is such a popular site, I wonder if anyone can confim their idiocy.

So, is the alleged hightenedquality of the extra 2 inks worth the extra price?

And also, is the photo quality worth giving up text quality, since the 6700D has no seperate text ink tank?

Thank You!

Chris
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:31 PM   #2

bump
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:40 PM   #3

I had similar questions last year and bought an IP6600D, which may be the previous model to the 6700D? But, the 6600 is a great photo quality printer over my previous Canon i850. But, the 850 printed text fast and cheap. The extra two colors is great for flesh tones and such. The only problem with the 6600, is goes through ink fairly fast. I do regret not buying a non-chipped printer.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:27 PM   #4

I heard the 6600D/6700D are very bad at printing text. Is this true?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:32 AM   #5

To Track,

The cartridge layout off the ip6700 is no different than the i960 and the ip6000d
Except this is chipped. You lose the large doublewide pigmented black text cartridge
of something like an ip4200 and gain a photo magenta and photocyan cartridge. Making it far worse at printing text and slightly better at photoprinting. The five color Canon printers like the ip4200 or similar are general purpose printers---and a sixc color like a ip6700 are intended to be speciality photoprinters

The reason I say far worse is that something like an ip4200 has and will exclusively use the large pigmented doublewide black for text only---and the ip6700 or similar six color canon does not have that cartridge and hence will mix all colors to get a kind of muddy looking black. If you want to see how it does see if you can find a store where one is set up and print a quick text file from something like notepad.--just type something like the quick brown fox---and print it--then do the same on an a five color Canon.

The reason I say slightly better at photo printing is that the photo magenta and photocyan you gain are highlight colors that can add to the photo redention---but beware that these are consumed in greater quanities.

If you are considering getting an ip6700 and plan to use anything other than Canon Oem cartridges, I would recommend you look for a ip6000 instead--last time I heard,
they were the last of the unchipped Canons that were still fairly available online. Far less hassle refilling or for using third party prefilled cartridges with an unchipped Canon.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:19 AM   #6

I've been hearing that the 6700D is much better at photos.

My requirements are "Lab Quality" photo output, aswell as text.

I thought at first that the 4300 would get me "lab quality" prints, but people are telling me otherwise.

In all the comparison pictures, i cannot see a difference beetween the 4300 and 8500 and 6700D at all. The only time i can a difference is when i use a magnifying glass and TRY to see a difference. I wonder if this is how it will be for actuall photos, and not just online pictures.

And what DO the 2 extra ink colors bring to the table? I thought that what made a printer good at photos was DPI and drop size, aswell as basic colors..

Thnx!
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:17 PM   #7

bump
Old Jan 28, 2007, 9:37 PM   #8

to Track,

who hypothesized---I thought that what made a printer good at photos was DPI and drop size, aswell as basic colors..

First understand that the large pigmented text black is not used in photoprinting. Then consider the earlier cited Canon i850---which lacks a dye based photoblack later added to the i860---and all of the ip4000/5000 series--as well as the ip4200/5200/ and for that matter the i960, ip6000d, and the ip6700. You still have the three primary colors---cyan, yellow, and magenta---plus various strategies to enhance those colors.---which in theory should allow just those three colors to reproduce any color in the rainbow---and for that matter---canon and other printer manufacters have eight color printers.---at what point in time do additional colors become overkill and more than software can handle?

Then you bring up DPI and drop size. Drop size and DPI in theory are wonderful. But again, given that in the real world, ink diffuse when it hits the paper, at some point, having smaller and more precisely aimed ink drops reaches a point of diminishing return.

Bottom line, if you can't tell the difference in output at normal viewing difference---why the hell worry?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:49 PM   #9

Well, thats just the thing- i dont have both printers inorder to compare.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:47 AM   #10

To Track,

Who writes---Well, thats just the thing- i dont have both printers inorder to compare.

In that case you are gambling. And to increase your odds you find quality web sites
with good user opinions. This is one of them--the nifty stuff forums are another. I don't have much faith in cnet.

But looking at what you want---lab quality prints and you want good text also. A fine fantasy but in the real world there are usually tradeoffs---and that ugly thing called money imposes its own limitations. But oddly enough Canon does produce one model---the MP960---which is a 7 color printer---having the cli-5 text black and the other six colors are the same as the ip6700.

But in terms of deciding for yourself---it would help to know your antisipated printing volume and how it will break down between text and photo. And if you are interested in refilling or third party prefilled cartridges to save money.