Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:45 PM   #1

I love the print quality of the 6600 with the six print cartridges, but the price of the ink at the rate I am using ink is crazy. Any suggestions for a non-chipped printer that I can buy greater quantities of ink at a lower price that will match the quality? When buying the 6600, I almost bought a Canon i9900 instead and now regret not spending the extra cash up front. Do all new Canons take a chip?

Thanks.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 6:37 PM   #2

Looks like there are no new printers from Canon that use a non-chip. Any confirmation? Looks like the iP6000 can still be bought, but I have read a couple of posts saying that the 6000 does not print as well as the 6600. The next choice would be a 9900 from Canon? Still available, but pricey. Any help out there?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:47 AM   #3

Any help? Is there a new printer available from Epson or Canon that does not have chips on the cartridges and is less than $300?

Is the only option a Canon i9900 and forget about my budget?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:32 AM   #4

You can probably forget about Epson if you don't want chipped cartridges. While you can still find some older Canon models without chips, Epson has had chipped cartridges in all of their printers for several years now. And where it is just a nuisance on Canons, Epsons quit printing when they calculate the tank is almost empty.

One advantage of Epson is that the chips have been around long enough for people to have developed deprogrammers and the like to defeat the chips. It is still a nuisance at best.

You might look into something like this for your iP6600: http://www.echostore.com/continuous-...n-ip6600d.html

I think all current Canon consumer models are chipped.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:12 PM   #5

That looks like a great setup. Can anyone comment on the reliability of this system? Will I have to deal with the annoying resetting of the printer 3 times and all that crap?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:49 PM   #6

gobucks, have you investigated the use of a continuous ink system with the 6600D?

Here's one, but there must be others: http://www.9to6.co.uk/cat.asp?catid=98

Could save you enough in the long run to make the printer a keeper.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:18 AM   #7

Why not just refill your carts with known good bulk ink like Hobbicolors or Formulabs ?

I also have a 6600 and that's what I do.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:04 PM   #8

I would get the wonderful warning about low ink right? And the warning would appear 2 more times? And then risk the possibility of the printer shutting down completely?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:49 PM   #9

I am dealing with the issue as I type. Took carts to refill store and they didn't mention they don't have a chip resetter.

The other obvious solution is to refill BEFORE it's empty. Refill when low ink light comes on indicating the liquid tank is empty.

There is a cheat for refills. When it says ink empty it also says push the OK button to keep printing if your in the middle of a job. I also went into printer control panel and turn the print monitor off, then back on. Ink show low but not out. This appears to clear the system for all following jobs.

I have sent three seperate print jobs, watching them print right now, appears to print without empty ink re- appearing. I am interested in what happens when the refilled cart empties.
digitalocoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:53 PM   #10

there are long threads all over the internet as to what happens when you refill. Eventually no matter what you do, the printer senses the cartridge has been refilled and then refuses to monitor ink level in the cartridge, although you can still continue to refill. Eventually, the cartridge will clog, but can apparently be cleaned with grandad35's procedures.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote