Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:24 AM   #1

I'm trying to choose a new printer and could use a little advice. I stopped at a local store and was checking out an Epson all in one photo printer. It looked nice and even had trays to scan your old slides and negatives. That seemed appealing. I forget the model number and now that I'm looking at Epson printers online I can't seem to find that same package. Anyways does anybody know an Epson printer that has the ability to scan old slides and negatives and do nice prints as well?
Kumakichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
JPL

I believe the model that you're looking at is the RX700. This model has been discontinued but there should be some around (such as eBay). There's no replacement printer for it.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:50 AM   #3

Here's a picture almost exactly of what was on that box. I would have bought that one I saw but it had already been opened. They told me it must have been a display model.

Old Jan 29, 2007, 6:19 PM   #4
JPL

Are you located in the UK?

That looks like the Epson Stylus Photo RX640.

The RX700 (that I previously mentioned) isfor sold in the USA.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:30 AM   #5

I'm in the US.

Do you think I'm barking up the wrong tree in worrying about getting a printer that has negative/slide scan capability? I understand that the dedicated film scanners would probably do a nicer job. I'm just wondering how good a job a setup like this might do for me. Mainly I am just looking for a printer that has the capability to print photo's fairly nice. Scan capability would just be a bonus.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:43 PM   #6

Just thought I'd pass along what info I was able to find.

The printer I had been looking at was an Epson CX7800. As it turns out it gets very lackluster ratings on many sites. Apparently it also suffers from maintenance issues. I read lots of reviews complaining of clogging printheads and paper jamming issues. And from the sounds of things Epsons customer support has been lacking. So much so it makes me wonder if I should go buy some other make of printer. The price of this printer was $110 from Sams Club which seems on par with other sellers. The ability to scan slides/negatives is of marginal quality according to reviews.

I saw a couple RX700's on Ebay. It looks very nice. Unfortunately its a little beyond my budget right now. I was hoping to stay in the $100-150 range.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:58 PM   #7
JPL

The CX7800 is actually optimized for printing documents and for the "occasional" photo printing.

May I suggest the Epson RX620 All-in-1. It can scan slides/negatives at 2400x4800. It uses 6 individual ink cartridges for photo printing. You can use it as a standalone unit or connected to a PC.

The Epson store currently is selling a refurbished unit for $88.00 with free shipping.