Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 5, 2003, 9:41 AM   #1

Default Non-Photo Graphics on Photo Printer

Hi All:

I want to get a new printer to complement my monochrome Laserjet. I want the printer to handle high-quality prints from my new digital camera. I've read reviews and I'm convinced the Canon i950 or i9100 are good products to consider.

My problem is this: As a landscape architecture student I also want to print vector graphics and scanned hand drawings. Any thoughts on whether the above printers would be best for these purposes also?

Thanks in advance!
Shrubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:44 PM   #2

on what kind of paper do you want to print those graphics (photo/matte/coated/plain ???)
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 5:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne123
on what kind of paper do you want to print those graphics (photo/matte/coated/plain ???)
Well, the best I can say is that I want to do more than glossy. I also want to print on paper thin enough to create multi-page booklets for bound portfolio and project use.

Thanks for reading!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 7:18 PM   #4

tough call.. but a good photo-printer should be a good printer for any kind of use... true output is true output, no matter what. As long as you print at highest quality, but remember that highes quality means looong printing time... are you willing to wait 15 minutes for a print?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:38 AM   #5

canon i850 will be your best choice - it is better on graphics (than i950)and almost the same on printing photos despite the fact that it is a 4-colour printer. And it's fast!

do you want to print images larger than A4?
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:08 AM   #6

The i950 is 6 colours for better tones and highlights, but its droplet size is also smaller thus allowing more droplets/inch.

And then the i9100 is just a wide format printer
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne123
canon i850 will be your best choice - it is better on graphics (than i950)and almost the same on printing photos despite the fact that it is a 4-colour printer. And it's fast!

do you want to print images larger than A4?
Can you explain why the i850 is better with graphics? That's the sort of info I need to know/understand. To paraphrase another poster, why isn't good print quality good print quality, no matter the subject being printed.

Also, I'd love to print as large as possible when it comes to the graphics stuff. but an HP Designjet 800PS like I have at school is not in my budget. This does bring up another question I have, though. Why are the small Designjets (like the 10PS) more expensive than "standard" inkjets that print the same size? Is it the postscript feature?
Old Jul 8, 2003, 4:28 AM   #8

I have both Canon i950 and i850.

i950 is rather a photo printer only. It handles my glossy printouts very good (sharp, no grain, etc.)

i850 is a graphics and text printer with good/very good photo printing capabilities.

It prints graphics which are very sharp, have very good colours, are vivid and it prints them fast. I print those graphics on coated and plain papers but also on other media (high gloss film, banner paper, transparencies, etc.). And it prints excellent whereas graphic printouts from i950 aren't as sharp, text doesn't look as black as on i850 and it's slow. Also, the i950 doesn't handle printing on above surfaces (high gloss film, banner paper, transparencies, etc.) as well as i850.

Wayne

PS.
Matte printouts are best on Epson 2200.