Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:08 PM   #1

In a word: Hi! :?

My R340,as soon as it's powered on,goes through what I assume is a self-test. Maybe it's always done that,but now that it's broke,I notice it! Anyway,after it's test procedure,the carriage returns to the home position,and seems like it's gonna work. But after perhaps three seconds,it drifts to the left just beyond the normal spot where you can access the cartridges to change them,and goes "pop". Or maybe it's a "bang". Regardless,there is an error message on the lcd screen that says "Printer error, read your manual."

Does anyone know what going on with this thing? It hasn't been used very much,and all ink levels were nearly full last time it worked. However,there is considerable ink spatter all around the area where the sponge is. Could that cause it to jam up? Thanks.

P.S. I have the service manual,but all it tells you to do is how to dismantle everything (a real hoot),and look for loose springs. You can basically do nothing with the unit as far as troubleshooting while it's together.
shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:54 PM   #2

It sounds as if the waste ink pads are full and printer wants to be serviced. The counter that keeps track of this can be reset on many Epson printers using the SSC service utility. Don't have the url handy, but you should be able to find it by searching this forum, or google.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply,Brian!

I'm not sure it could be that type of problem for two reasons:

1) It has now twice straightened itself out and it's working fine again right now. I pushed and prodded on the cap assembly to see if was seating and releasing correctly,and it hasn't acted up since. Printed a few pictures and one CD out.

2) Ink levels are about half,and the unit is basically new. Just hasn't been used much.

Who knows? I think the carriage was sticking on the cap assembly,but now I have to wait until it happens again.

Thanks again for the reply!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:56 AM   #4

Given that your printer hasn't done much work, your description of the fault suggests either a bad contact somewhere or the printer losing track of the head location due to contamination somewhere around the carriage assembly (dirty sensor, perhaps.)

I'm not familiar with the 340's exact layout, but on other 'R' series printers the location sensor is behind the carriage.

It can also help sometimes to clean the plastic strip just above the carriage drive belt.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the information! If this printer was a vcr,I would say the problem was a dirty mode switch,famous for causing all types of mechanical jams and mishaps that come and go at random. I don't know if printers have anything like a mode switch though. :?

You have definitely given me nourishment for contemplation!

Steve