Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 7, 2003, 1:35 PM   #1

Default Replacing Canon Print Heads Question

I am looking to purchase a canon printer to use with my Canon S50. My question is regarding the life and durability of the canon print head. As discussed in Steve's review of the the Canon printers, Steve states:

"Not only can the user replace the individual ink tanks but you can also replace the entire print head if necessary. Epson printers require a trip to the service center if they encounter a print head problem. "

It is my understanding that these print heads can be quite expensive should they need to be replaced. I believe with some of the other manufacturer's printers, the print head is part of the ink cartridge and thus would get replaced each time you bought a new cartridge.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has had to have there print head replaced? What did it cost? and Approximately how many prints did you print prior to the replace?

All feedback would be greatly appreicated ... as I have heard that prior Canon printers print heads have a somewhat short life.

thanks
E46M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:57 PM   #2

you can get some important infos about the printhead and the i850 here:

http://www.cyberscholar.com/canon/do...s/i850FAQs.doc

__________________________________________________ ________________________

It is a lifetime printhead which means it is designed to last the life of the printer, not only one cartidge (like those integrated in Lexmarks or HPs).

It costs (printhead) around 100 $ and it is user replacable ( you put it into the printer during the installation).
Believe me, Canon printheads are REALLY life-time ones. I have a Canon printer here which has worked for 6 years. It only needed some cleaning cycles after I left it unused for 2 months. No problems with it - quality perfect even after 6 years - I fed it with ORIGINAL inks.

Those new Canon printheads (the "i" series) have a very long life and there are no problems with them (no clogs, etc.).
There may be problems if you fed them with REFILLS but I buy originals and the quality and the life of the printhead is excellent!

I totally recommend i850/i950 - I have both (i850 since Sep 2002) and I'm very happy with them: no clogs, no printhead cleaning cycles, no nothing. Changed the ink tanks 4/5 times and the quality is still perfect!!!

Wayne
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 7:24 PM   #3

I agree with Wayne. I have had my S800 printer now almost 2 years and have not had any problems that one run of the cleaning cycle could not fix, and I am on my third full set of tanks--they last me that long despite having printed 30 8x10, 80 4x6, and some 30 5x7 prints.

Like Wayne, I also have not used any third party inks because I did not feel that the costs for OEM ink was that outrageous (except when I got to purchase a full set of 6 inks to keep as a backstock). I figured, why mess with a good thing.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:39 PM   #4

I've had the Canon S820 for about 11 months now and have replaced each cartridge at least 3 times, I print quite often...the printhead question is valid, but only in a negative sense...you only have to worry about it if it malfunctions, and I have not had that problem at all...so, stop thinking negative and go for it, the Canon's are magnificent and fast and much easier than the Epson's and HP's, I've had both....Canon rules, and if they don't, their customer service rules, easy to get in touch with, etc...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:26 PM   #5

I've been running an i850 for almost 6 months and use about 1 set of cartridges per month (slightly more for Cyan), for the last 5 months I've been using the InkjetGoodies refill ink and cartrige bodies with excellent results. No problems with clogging etc. and excellent colour matching to the original Canons.

The cost of Canon originals here in the UK is about 25 (US$37) a set with cheap generic replacements at about 15 (US$23) a set. The Inkjetgoodies refills work out VERY cheap using the smallest pack (shipping to the UK is exhorbitant as they use UPS!) it works out at about 6.50 (US$10) per set

I've recommended the Canon i550 & i850 to about 20 people and they are all very happy, not only with the quality & speed but the huge reduction in print costs compared to HP printers, a typical set for an HP 840 or 950 would be about 38 (US$57) for colour and 20 (US$30) for black!.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of going with the I950 or the HP PS 7150. I see that someone has already started a thread between the I850 and the 7150.

I would interested in hearing in any feedback as to if the Canon I950 is worth the extra $200 CDN, as some prior posts from users have suggested that the 7150/7350/7550 print as well as the Canon S900.

The speed of the Canon would be nice but if print quality is comparable, I would rather have the $200 in my pocket for paper and ink.

Cheers
E46M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:22 AM   #7

Well, again, according to both the Canon techies and Steve, moderator of this forum, you will not see any difference, to the naked eye, between the i950 and the s820...so, for $92 delivered, I think you'd be wise to go with the s820...I've got an HP Photosmart printer and while it is good, it does not compare to the magnificent prints from the Canon, and the Canon is like, 3 times faster....
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:32 AM   #8

Default S820 Life time HEADS

What is life time heads mean? do you mean the heads on the S820 will never have to be replaced? I don't think the S820 is as fast as steve said it was but it does print nice pictures.

I also found Kodak paper prints better pictures than canon pro papre. the kodak paper showed background brick work which the canon paper did not.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:40 AM   #9

I have been using my i950 and love it - I bought it because it prints very fast - as an added bonus the prints are great.
Dan Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:35 AM   #10

I think according to canon the printhead is only rated to last about 800 full bleed high quality 8x10s or something like that. Its been a whilesince I last checked. The printhead is around 100 bucks +- 25 relatively easy to replace. This would equal out to about 10- 12 sets of ink. In my experience thermal printheads usually last a little longer than they are rated for with slightly diminished quality thus you would probably see up to 15 sets of ink before its really bad enough to justify getting another printhead.

Epson printheads are rated to last significantly longer I think 2000 8x10s. Again its been a while since I last checked. Replacement is about the same price plus the shop price of 70 bucks. Personally if I got an Epson I'd get a CIS system so I could run continuous ink at like a dime per 11x17.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote