Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 8, 2003, 5:18 AM   #1

Default Canon i950, i850 or i70

While the i950 seems to get many votes (and I've read soooo many reviews), still cannot get over the price difference between it and the i850 at about 30-40% more in Hong Kong and both 25-30% more expensive initially from Canada/US. 4 or 6 cartridges, 2 or 4pi? Slow vs. Fast. TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) calc's. on both!

Overall Print Quality - i950 but some like the i850 final output and what it looks like to the eye giving it the grainy look of prof. photos and textures.
Speed - goes to i850 everytime
Type of prints - Does i850 do 5x7's, which printer does borderless and which w/borders as an option?
Someone even mentioned in a review that the i950 didnt come with a USB cable!

Looking at both the price gap is too large but wavering like some to the i950 but could I even consider the i70 for it's portability.

Has anyone reviewed the i70 (I have a feeling that this printer may not have a place in comparison with these two but taking a break and thinking portability now.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Da Kid
DaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2003, 6:17 AM   #2

To correct:

1. Both i850 and i950 use 2pl drops.

2. Canon i950 is faster on photos than i850 , thanks to a larger number of nozzles.

3. I don't like the grain and prefer sharp and smooth i950 photos.

4. Speed: i950 is always faster @ photos than i850.

5. They both do borderless photos (both do 5x7" also) in sizes from 4x6" to 8.5x10". It is standard NOT an option.

6. Today NO printer manufacturer (like Canon, Lexmark, Epson, HP) includes a cable in the box. You must buy it yourself - nothing new.
The cable (USB 1.1) costs 2 dollars.

7. Don't buy i70 - not worth it.

OVERALL

If you want a printer which will handle your text and graphics very well and will also print great photos, buy i850.

If you want a printer that will do fast,EXCEPTIONAL photos on diffrent paper sizes, go for the i950.

Wayne
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:09 AM   #3

Wayne hit the nail head with everything. I have a print from an I850 taken with a Canon G2 and I prefer the same picture printed with my 6-color S800. But you have to decide if you really need an all around printer or if photos are more a prioity.

I have made a print with the I70. I took my G3, a piece of Photo Paper Pro, and USB cable to Staples and connected it to the i70 to try the DirectPrint feature. I was not impressed with the output; it appeared to be overly exposed and washed out, to which the original image was not. Also, the ink tanks are small and expensive for how little these tanks are. I think they are between $15 - $25, black being the less expensive.

i think the i70 would be great for general printing purposes when on the go, but not for worthwhile photos.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:11 PM   #4

Default Thanks for comments so far!

I wondered about the i70. Looked good, portable, lightweight and agree with on-the-go applications.

I am leaning toward the i950 now. I want exceptional print quality.

One thing though, are you sure about the speed of the i950 over the i850? It was my understanding the 850 blew it away?

Also, good to hear the 850 does 5x7's.

Any additional views or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Also, if anyone could recommend paper to use!
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:04 PM   #5

i850 - 4 Colour
i950 - 6 Colour

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:39 AM   #6

I covered this subject on an earlier post, about 2 months ago...the i850 is not really a 'photoprinter', although the Canon ads portrayed it that way...if you talk to the Canon techies, they will tell you the same thing...the i850 is very good at text, but so is the i950 and according to Canon techies, the i950 finally got the 'blues' right...with the 6 tank system, the i950 produces much better photos than the i850...so, if you want a 'photoprinter', the i950 is the 'creme de la creme', but as Steve advises, unless you have an 8x loupe for viewing your pics, you will not see a signigicant difference between the i950 and the S820, which is currently selling for under $100. When I asked about choosing the i850 vs the S820, for photos, the answer was, from both expert sources, 'the S820 is superior'...the i850 produces better text, though...the superior photo quality comes from the 6 different inks rather than the 4 that the i850 uses...if you don't believe me, call Canon and send an e-mail to Steve...Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:11 AM   #7

- If you want superb quality, than the i950 will be your best choice.

- If you print photos, i950 is faster than i850. And if you switch to plain paper (to print some docs), it is a lot slower. Number of nozzles as shown here:

I950:

- Black - 512
- Cyan - 512
- Light Cyan - 512
- Magenta - 512
- Light Magenta - 512
- Yellow - 512

TOTAL: 3072 nozzles

I850:

- Black - 320

- Cyan - 512

- Magenta - 512

- Yellow - 256

TOTAL: 1600 nozzles

- Papers: I recommend Red River papers and Olympus Pictorico papers (excellent quality) and of course Canons pr-101 paper.

- the i950 isn't as good as i850 on text. It's dye black compared to i850 pigmented black, creates gray text on some cheaper copy papers while i850 prints graphics and text excellent on every paper. And this black dye also soakes into plain paper, sometimes even too much.

- the diffrence between photo output from i850 and i950 can be very small or very big depending on a type of photo you are printing. You don't see grain on i950 - the dots are very well hidden thanks to its 6 inks. The photos are also sharper and more vivid than those from i850.

- there is a diffrenece in printing photos between i950 and s820. Remember that i950 has smaller drops, higher res, doesn't have this "micro banding" and has a new, improved printhead which will last. I don't say that s820 is bad (I owned one) but it just doesn't match the quality of i950.

- Yes, s820 is better than i850 @ photos but nothing else. Though the diffrence isn't as big as you thought. I would even say that the printouts are the same and lean towards the i850 print but this is only my opinion. I had both printers and the photo output is almost the same and even sharper on the i850 (thanks to this grain?) but again not as sharp as on the i950. The i850 isn't as good as s820 on gradiations and shadow details.

SEE HERE (comparing photo quality):

http://www.dp-now.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl/read/5661

AND HERE (s820d and i950 photo output compared):

http://www.dp-now.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl/read/5389

Wayne
Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:50 AM   #8

Default thanks for the thorough response!

Hey...I'm glad to be once again confident in my purchase of a product that has been reviewed here and that has been discussed on this forum. I will go get the i950 as the match to my Canon Powershot S400.

One last question, how often will I be replacing the individual cartridges? I would think that some will empty before others.

Cheers,
DaKid
Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:43 AM   #9

luckily it has those separate ink tanks so there will be no problem with wasted ink

The printer is rather economical so you should get quite a lot of pages when printing on high res, not highest - I don't see any diffrence between those 2 modes.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:39 AM   #10

The printer is frugal with its ink, but you will see the BCI-6PC (Photo Cyan), the BCI-6PM (Photo Magenta) go sooner than the Magenta and Cyan. If you print alot of pics with skin tones, you will also see the Yellow (BCI-6Y) go. That was the first one to go on my S800.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote