Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:42 AM   #1

I've been lurking on this forum for several months now, absorbing the collective wisdom of the experienced members. After considering all the options, I finally bit the bullet and bought a pre-packaged continuous ink supply system (from Rihac in Australia). (Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with this company and have no experience with any other company's CISS products.)

Ordering was easy enough, and delivery was prompt considering it came from half way around the world. I also purchased a full set of refill inks at the same time to ease future shipping costs somewhat. The declared value was slightly understated, which helped ease the tax burden at customs a bit.

The package of extra inks was simply taped to the other box, but well secured with lots of packing tape. Inside the wrapping, the CISS system packaging was surprisingly professional in appearance for a small specialty manufacturer. Everything was nestled in custom-formed styrofoam blocks rather than the peanuts or bubble wrap one might otherwise expect and the box itself was a full colour printed heavy corrogated cardboard. Right on top was a full-colour 20 page manual with step-by-step instructions.

Transfering the chips was well-documented. 4 of the 5 replacement carts had plastic locating tabs to be melted over with a soldering iron, just as with the original carts. For some strange reason, the large black cart uses double-sided tape, which was supplied and pre-positioned, but I think I would have preferred plastic tabs for that one too.

Reference to installing the silicone seals was slightly cryptic. The instructions state: " Please ensure that the silicone seals do not move from position when inserting the cartridges" without any sort of guidance as to how one goes about checking the positioning after the carts are installed. I guess if you wake up in the morning and find a pool of ink surrounding the printer they were not properly installed? Similarly cryptic is the reference to "remove any excess from the air chamber". What constitutes excess? Should this read "remove any ink from the air chamber"?

More attention could have been given to properly locating the metal support arm that is affixed with double-sided tape and adjusting the amount of slack in the tubing. The issue was not addressed at all in the MP830 instructions, although the IP series instructions provided some clues (the same kit is used for both, with separate sections in the manual covering the two designs). The arm needs to just clear the protrusions cast into the lid -- any further forward and the tubing rubs when the carriage moves right, any further back and the arm is depressed by the lid. I will now have to replace the double-sided tape holding the arm as it was repositioned too many times. Fortunately, the kit comes with some spare pieces. I found that if things are not adjusted exactly right, the tubing tends to hit and rub against various bits of the interior, which can't be a good thing.

One final note: with the tubing installed, the dust cover/output tray cannot be closed. Not only does it pinch the tubing, it jams the door. Maybe when the warranty is expired I'll use a dremel tool relieve the plastic for clearance. It's not really a big deal, but it's easier to load the paper cassette with the door closed. This is not a fault of the kit -- it's just the way Canon built the printer.

As shipped, one colour had excessive air in the line. The instructions for priming the line were excellent and the task was easily accomplished, if slightly messy. They ain't kidding when they suggest rubber gloves and tissues! I've been refilling, so I'm quite familiar with the warning messages to come and didn't really read that section in the manual very closely, but the only error I noted there is that the MP830 doesn't have a resume button on the printer -- the instructions are for a different model.

All critisism aside, installation was fairly straightforward. Call it an 8 out of 10. If you can refill a cartridge, you can install this system. I wish installing a Microsoft product was this easy, but that isn't really much of an endorsement, is it?:lol: If the documentation was improved, it would likely be a 10 out of 10, because there's nothing wrong with the hardware. Printing has been flawless thus far, the supplied ink seems to be a close match for the original Canon colour. Dye-based ink was supplied for both black carts, as opposed to Canon's pigment ink in the large cart. Whether this will cause text documents to fade earlier remains to be seen. The system comes with some spare parts, like additional double-sided tape, elbows and tie-wraps, which is a nice touch. It even came with a pair of tweezers for installing the silicone seals! A pair of gloves, some towelettes, a sharp utility knife and a soldering iron was all I had to hunt up.

Cost for the kit and one additional set of refill inks, after shipping, currency exchange, duty and brokerage fees works out to about 13% of the cost for an equivalent quantity of ink in Canon cartridges. Well worth the effort so far.
d.verhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:45 PM   #2

Thank you for posting your experiences with Rihac's CISS for the MP830. I have the same printer and am considering this system when the printer's warranty expires.

How is the CISS running for you now? Any further issues crop up?

Any pics you can post to show off the CISS with your printer?

Thanks for taking the plunge and reporting here!
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for posting your experiences with Rihac's CISS for the MP830. I have the same printer and am considering this system when the printer's warranty expires.

How is the CISS running for you now? Any further issues crop up?

Any pics you can post to show off the CISS with your printer?

Thanks for taking the plunge and reporting here!
It seems to be just fine so far, but then, I haven't had it very long yet either! I am doing a little experiment -- before switching, I printed off a picture with a variety of colours using original Canon carts. I printed off the same pic on the same paper with the Rihac ink. I've masked off half of each picture with a couple of layers of paper and placed them in a south-facing window to see what sort of comparative fading issues crop up over time.

Here's a pic of the carts installed:

Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:23 PM   #4

Tube routing:

Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:24 PM   #5

... and the ink resevoirs:

Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the pictures. The CISS looks pretty good. Rihac seems to give you plenty of tubing length. I see your point about the tubing hindering the closure of the output tray. At least it does not prevent you from fully closing the top lid.

If you are concerned about dust getting into the printer and mucking things up, then consider a cover. I boughtcustom made vinyl coversfor my printers and have been very pleased so far.I supplied the dimensions and the covers arrivedpromptly and at a good price. Check out http://www.buypcsupplies.com/dustcoversvinyl.htmland http://www.compucover.com/if interested.

Please keep us apprised of your CISS system.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote