Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:29 PM   #1

Hi, after hours and hours of reading reviews and googling various printers I stumbled upon this site. Im looking for advice on the best printers that is very cost efficient in ink and has decent photo quality for dvd labels and covers. I am willing to sacrafice photo quality to save money on ink.Would laser jets be the route to take?? my budget is $800-$1000 range. Thanks.
zayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:43 AM   #2

How many dvd covers are we talking about here ?

Laserprinters are great workhorses but pretty expensive to run. The drum is expensive and the toner carts are expensive as well. Getting cheap toner is harder then getting bulk ink for a inkjet and it cost more.

Laserprinters are also bigger, heavier and consume a lot of electricity.

The lowest price color laser that is decent is about $400.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:39 AM   #3

Is it Cd's, DVD's or both you are interested in printing in bulk? Are you needing to print directly on discs or will it be sticky labels? How many colors do you need for printing? What sort of production rate, discs per hour,are you desiring?

If you need mass production then you might get some good ideas by checking out http://www.discmakers.com/andlooking specifically at the "Duplicators" section and then search the internetfor alternative pricing. Discmakers, and probably some local businesses if your in a large enough city, can do the printing for you for a fee (of course).
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:48 PM   #4

these are for dvds only, I need to produce about500 dvds per month. I found a solution for dvd labels.... I am purchasing the brave se disc publisher http://www.tape.ca/item/792.htmlfor $1659.00(canadian)
which prints directly onto the dvd

Now I just need a printer for printing dvd Insert covers. The cover will be photographs of various building structures(schools, hospitals etc.) I hear laserjets are not too good quality wise for these type of prints... but would they be noticable to the average person?? Because I already dished out $1700 for the disc publisher Im hoping you guys can recommend a decent low budget printer in the $300-$500 range. thanks
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:09 AM   #5

zayne wrote:
Quote:
these are for dvds only, I need to produce about500 dvds per month. I found a solution for dvd labels.... I am purchasing the brave se disc publisher http://www.tape.ca/item/792.htmlfor $1659.00(canadian)
which prints directly onto the dvd

Now I just need a printer for printing dvd Insert covers. The cover will be photographs of various building structures(schools, hospitals etc.) I hear laserjets are not too good quality wise for these type of prints... but would they be noticable to the average person?? Because I already dished out $1700 for the disc publisher Im hoping you guys can recommend a decent low budget printer in the $300-$500 range. thanks
A low priced inkjet like the Canon IP4300 would print out those Insert covers with great quality. The only problem you would run into would be changing the carts often. A CIS would be in order to fix that problem.

The other option is use a Laser printer, color laser printers start at around $400.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 1:05 PM   #6

I have narrowed it down to 2 laser printers. The HP LaserJet 2600N and the Konica Minolta Magicolor 5430dl. Both are on sale for under $300, does anyone have expeirences with these printers??
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:03 PM   #7

I think I would go with the HP 2600n, much smaller, better reviews, the magicolor looks to be the 220volt model which means you will need 220/240 outlet to power it, plus it's 90 pounds compared with HP's 40 pounds.

There are plenty of HP compatible toner carts and refill kits on the market to at least lower the TCO.