Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:23 PM   #1

I have this Canon i960 printer that served me great until not too long ago. What happened recently is that all my prints on photo paper have this greenish color like viewed through a cyan (?)filter. Again, only happens when I print on photo paper, soon as I select regular paper, prints perfect. I have tried every possible thing from re-installing the printer and new updated driver to using the advice posted by Mike Chaney in the Tech Corner forum. Iam hoping to get some advice about how to deal with this from somone who has encountered the same problem. Any advice is much appreciated.Thanks.
motz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2

Hi
I got the very same problem and I found a way after lot of work and wasted paper and ink (thanks canon :-( )

I am french so I ll translate approximately to what should be the english interface

also this is done within Win XP

first you have to go to the Printer properties and use the "maintenance" tab

then you should find a "personal parameters " (with small printer icon w/o the moon)

in this window you uncheck the [auto] "paper identification" button

unchecking it results in the following

when you check "regular paper" in the printing setup window, the driver wil not try to identify the paper but will use the regular paper profile wich gives the correct colors.

otherwise, it will detect that you use non regular paper and will apply a bogus profile that will result in greenish prints

now with the auto paper detection disabled, the printer will use regular paper profile, and it yields much better results (!) than photo paper profile.

also in the "color management" tab I selected "manual" default profile and choose the CNBJPRN2 profile as the default profile. Not sure if it is required, I have to check.

just let me know if that works for you

however i still have a big problem with CD/DVD printing (my printer is a 9950 but my workaround should work for the 960)

when I select the CD tray, I CANNOT select the "regular paper" , so the driver use again a specific profile for CD that again yields green printing

If someone has the same problem and found or even tried something I would be glad to hear it

Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Merci beaucoup, mon ami ! It worked, pictures are a bit faded as the details are not as great as on photo settings. I'm going to forward this to Canon to see what they think about it. I've tried everything they suggested without any luck, they ended up reccomending me to go to a service center where probably I will pay for the 'repair' more than for the cost of a new printer. I think there something related to sofware corruption rather than hardware, I've installed the printer several times, upgraded driver, etc, nothing works... strange, very strange... Maybe will get some advice from someon here in the forums, till next time.... Salut et sante !
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:17 PM   #4

I joined this forum just to respond to your issue with the greenish tint when printing on glossy paper to the i960!

I had the same problem which exhausted hours of my day, tons of paper and my patience! I downloaded new drivers, tried different print options, multiple applications, switched the photo from cmyk to rgb and even saved it in different formats - nothing worked! The problem seemed random, like there was no solution. It was maddening!

Finally, I checked the internet and yours was the only post I found with the same issue. I applied the solution supplied by Red Leader and it worked for me too. But, I'm stumped at what the problem could be.

I agree it sounds like a software issue. Especially since the fix is to prevent the printer from detecting the paper. I am on a mac, I assume you are both on PCs. This makes this issue cross-platform, which also seems like a software issue to me.

Did you contact Canon? Did they have a solution?

If Canon didn't give you any solid answers I could contact them also and report the same issue. I think the more input they get the better.

Any insight/advice/solutions you can provide would be great!

Christine
cmadesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:05 PM   #5

Christine,

Sorry to hear that you're havingh the same printing problem. Just about when I wanted to make some nice prints fromlast summer's European trip, this machine let me down. I wrote back to Canon Customer Support only yesterday (was sooooo busy lately...) and soon as I get a response I'm going to post it in the forum. Cheers !

Val
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:58 PM   #6

Hi everyone,

here is the response I received from Canon about our printing issue:

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding the i960 printer.

Based upon the information that you have provided this issue that you are experiencing is a hardware issue possible with the print head.
However printing on plain could lead you to believe that the issue is software related.
When a photograph is printed on plain paper the BCI-6PC (Photo Cyan) and the BCI-6PM (Photo Magenta) are never used. When printing on Photo Paper that has been selected in the properties then these two ink tanks are used.
Since the images are coming out with a cyan tinge or hue, this suggests that the BCI-6PM (Photo Magenta) is not printing completely or not printing at all.
Hence the suggestion to print a nozzle check to see that all the colours print. For the nozzle check there should be six individual colours that will print. If one is missing such as the Photo Magenta then the issue is the print head.

I'm goin to try one more time to take theprinting head apart and clean it and double check the cartridges with Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta. I have the feeling that nothing will come out of this..

Good luck to you all and let me know if you have any luck with your printers.

Val

Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7

Val -

The answer from Canon does make sense on some level. If the photo cyan and photo magenta aren't used on plain paper then the problem could be the print head.

Did canon say what the solution to the hardware problem is?

I have to say, the photos I printed on glossy paper with the plain paper option selected were lacking that vivid color and realistic fleshtone that I was used to from this printer.

It does seem bizarre though that we are both experiencing the same problem with the same greenish tint.

I printed the nozzle check sheet and my photo magenta bar is missing. Is it missing on your nozzle check sheet?

I'm also experiencing dropouts with my black tank. Are you using canon ink cartridges, or a generic brand? I'm currently using a generic brand. I wonder if that could be part of the issue.

Where did you find documentation on how to take the print head apart? I'd like to try that also and let you know what I find.

I wonder if there's any connection between our purchase dates and serial numbers. What's the serial number on your printer? Mine is: FBVB16794 Do you remember when you bought yours? I purchased mine in San Rafael, California the first year it was introduced (2001-2002? not sure).

Maybe with both of us troubleshooting the problem we can come up with a solution. Or at least get Canon to acknowledge that there may be some failure with the photo magenta print head.

Christine
cmadesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:12 PM   #8

Christine,

Serial number on my printer is FBVC17622 and I also bought it first year when it was introduced on the market but a bit farther from California in Toronto,Canada.

What puzzled me right from the start was that all the colors were printing right during the nozzle check. One thing that I've changed though was that I've started refilling the original cartridges at the Island Inkjet, I don't recall if around the same time I started that I alsostarted having this issue...Never had any drop outs from any of the tanks.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new Canon Photo Magentacartridge and see if itmakes a difference. If not, I'll start playing again with the printing head. I would not dare sending you any instructions about how to take it apart until I see if thatwill sove the problem.If it works I'll email you digitals with every step.

I'll keep you posted.

Val
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:21 AM   #9

Interesting thread... I had this same issue with my i900d. It seemed like the Photo Cyan color was too heavily applied. Of course, non-photo prints were fine. I tried replacing all of the ink cartridges with brand new genuine canon, and also replaced the print head. Neither solution resulted in any difference.

I was reasonably sure it was not a software/driver issue because it has worked fine until sometime recently. I gave up and just replaced the printer with a new one.
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:12 AM   #10

I've recently experienced the same problem (greenish photos)before it just quit printing. I think it's one of two things: I used another brand of ink and have plugged the printer head or I just need a new printer head. The cost -- about half again as much to replacethe printerlike for like. (sigh)
Curlz is offline   Reply With Quote