Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:07 AM   #11

I compared both of these printers in the store and in online reviews over the past week. Staples here has refurbished 7150's for $99 and the i850 for $229 as you said. The only samples I had to go by were online and a few in-store. I found the sample output of the i850 to have sharper color distinctions and almost no banding. I haven't had any banding/nozzle problems, but the printer is brand new... The only problem I have is remembering to switch it to High quality instead of Standard (which will produce banding). After doing my research, I went with the i850, even at twice the price. I couldn't find many flaws in the output and not enough difference with the i950 to justify again doubling the price ($399 CDN?).

In the past few days, I've spun through about 100 5 x 7s, 20 8 x 10s, and a dozen 4 x 6 prints. I've been amazed at every single one of them. The cost for output is less than half of what the mall store charges for digital prints and the quality is quite acceptable for family photos. I've used the Canon Photo Paper Pro, the Epson 5 x7, and Kodak 8 x 10 Ultimate and have had no issues with any brand.
BGumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 9:22 AM   #12

I have the HP5550 which is the same engine as the 7150 except you can not print directly from the media. I use Printpal to purchase refill packs for $16 or can purchase refill cartridges for $21. This lowers the cost of ink for my printer supplies. I refill my own black cartridges which cost about a $1 a refill. I have had great success with all printing with the HP.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote