Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:41 AM   #1

Default HP 7150 or Canon i850....

Hello,

I have a digital camera (olympus c3030) since this winter. All you people help me to choose a good one for my budget. THANKS again, I really like my cam!!!!

Now, it is time for a photo printer. I have spend several time on this forum and on internet trying to choose a good printer. I also went to some store to get the seller advise (I don't really trust themÖhahahaha)

First I will use the printer only for my personal photo (normal use). So I'm looking for a good photo quality instead of letter quality.

Then, I will like to spend around 200$ canadian.

There are 2 printers then look good for my use: HP7150 and Canon i850.

The HP is 149$ canadian and the Canon is 229$.

HP use only two cartridges (35$ each) and the Canon 4 cartriges (19$ each)

I understand that they give almost the same photo quality.
+++++++++++
My question:

Which one will be a better considering the cost of a photo?

Is it better to take the HP and buy a 35$ cartridges everytime or spend a little more money and go with the Canon but spend only 19$ on a cartridge for the color that it is empty.

THANKS!!!!
maximebeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:26 AM   #2

My thought is this:

Go with the Canon because of the individual tanks. Yes, it is possible that you could run out of 3 tanks at the same time costing you about $60 to replace them instead of the 35 of the HP, but keep in mind that with the HP when the blue runs out you toss the remaining ink of the yellow and red.

Also, the HP has to bend the paper 180 degrees to make the print while the Canon has a much straighter paper path. Another thing I have seen with the HP because of the way it pulls the paper it can skew the paper slightly when compared to a gravity feed/pull like the Canon.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:07 AM   #3

HP 7150 is such a bad printer that I have now words for it!!!

- Prints a LOT (!!!) worser than Canon i850
- Doesn't do pure borderless photos
- noisy
- flimsy covers/trays (made of very cheap plastic)
- quality is awful, the prints are grainy and lack in detail (even on samples in stores)
- feeding problems (especially photo papers and other thick stocks)
- NO individual ink tanks
- tiny cartidges which are f***en expensive
- you have to buy additional (black) cartidge to print on plain paper otherwise you will only be able to print on photo papers (don't even try to print text with photo cartidge on plain papers - quality will be terrible!!!)
- sloooooooooooooooow
- quality with photo cart is still awful
- it curles paper (photo stocks)
- if you print directly from camera it will print in lower res.
- horrible banding (sometimes) on photo paper

No positive word for it (it even looks awful)

Wayne
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:11 AM   #4

after reading an other post:

Look like the s820 is better then i850 for photo because of the 6 cartridge.

and the s820 is cheaper. Why? older model?

THANKS
maximebeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:20 AM   #5

its really hard to tell a photo printed with s820 from i850. And I can say that I would prefer i850 photo. The i850 prints are the same as those printed from s900.

Yes , it is an older model (s820). The i850 is the successor to the s750 and s8xx line.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:34 AM   #6

The difference between the i850 and the S8XX is that it has a higher resolution and nozzle count, small er droplet size and is 4 color instead of the 6 color that the S8XX and i950 are. The I850 really updates the other S-series printers (S750, S450, etc.).
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:14 AM   #7

the i850 is said to be a photo printer and it really does it very well. That's why it's successor to the s8xx line. It is also an excellent all-around printer, like the s750 used to be. So it replaces s820 and s750 creating the best all-around printer with superb photo-printing capabilities.

s200, s300, s330, s520, etc. have been replaced by i250, i320, i350, i450 and i550.

s520d has been replaced by i470d

s9000 by i9100

s900 by i950

there is only no logical replacement for s830d (i470d ?)

Wayne
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:39 PM   #8

$19 a cartridge seems expensive, here in rip-off UK where we normally pay more for things original Canons are about £25 (US$37) for a full set of 4. Have you had a look at the online stores for cartridges??
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:31 PM   #9

I have had an HP 7350 for about 3 months now. It is the same as the 7150, but also includes the memory card readers. I have over the years had Cannons(2 models) and Epsons(2 models). This is my second H.P.
The 7350 is by far the best. Yes it isn't the fastest printer on the market, but for personal use, whats the hurry anyway, and the reliability is great. My Epsons and Cannons were prone to banding problems. I seamed to spend more time cleaning the heads than printing photos. Add the cost of wasted photo paper and you quickly lose any savings you may have had from individual ink tanks etc. With this HP and the last one I had, I never, ever saw any head problems. A good buddy of mine is having a lot of clogging problems with his Cannon 900S.
I have refilled the ink cartriges twice now with ink I bought from Island Inkjet (in Canada) This makes it very economical. And if I permanently clog one of the heads... no problem, I'll just buy a new cartridge, which will include a new head.
The head on my last Cannon was only about 10 bucks less than the cost of a whole new printer, which is why I got rid of it!.
As far as print quality, on premium gloss paper, the prints look as though they came from a photo lab.
I bought this one at Best-Buy for $199 Canadian.
After owning 6 different inkjet printers, I would still buy the HP 7350 again without hesitation.
Good luck.
lotapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:51 PM   #10

Hi,
I have a HP7150 and I have a love/hate relationship with this printer. I love the quality of my prints from 4x6 to 8x10Ēs, outstanding output. I hate the cost of operation, Ouch $$$.

I recently helped a friend setup a Canon 820 and the first test print was a 4x6 on Ritz paper and I was very impressed. They say Canons are picky as paper goes, one should use Canon paper but the Ritz worked great.

Iíve had my HP for about a year and when replacement time comes around Iím going to be looking at the Canons because of the cartridge cost. I would also check out Epsonís.

You wont be disappointed with the HP but you will find better cost to operate with the Canon.
Good Luck.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote