Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Are Epson or Canon coming out with any new inkjets soon?

Hi,

I've read things I don't like about both Epson and Canon photo printers. Does anyone know if there will be any new models which supersede Epson's 1280 and 2200 and Canons S900 and S9000?

I think it would be best to wait to buy one of these if this is the case.

I see that Epson is offering a $100 rebate until this August, so I was thinking they might introduce a new model after this...

Thanks,

Walt
Wizardiaoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:50 AM   #2

Replying to my own question, I see Canon is coming out with an i9000 this month-- July.

The only differnece is that it has 1200x4800 rather than 1200x2400.

It's priced at $499.00. Not bad, considering Epson's 1280's still priced at $499.00 on their website.

Walt
Wizardiaoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:20 AM   #3

canon s900 -> canon i950

canon s9000 -> canon i9100

be sure to read review of i9100 here, on steves-digicams
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:23 AM   #4

canon s900 -> canon i950

canon s9000 -> canon i9100

be sure to read the review of i9100 here, on steves-digicams
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:30 AM   #5

Epson 1280 has a nice refilll aftermarket that has'nt been beat by anyone else. You can go to www.inkjetart.com and get a continuous ink system for it bringing the cost of ink down to around a dime per 11x17. Thats a hell of a lot cheaper than printers like the cannon which will run you around .46 per 4x6 with paper.

Also the Epson has a larger aftermarket when it comes to color profiles for different uses.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:47 PM   #6

Should you buy a Canon i950 or i9100, www.buy.com has a kit of 10 packs (20 sheets per pack, so a total of 200 sheets) of Canon Photo Paper Pro for $55. That works out to about 27 center pe sheet. The link is http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...340720&loc=101

If you were to buy the same amount at CompUSA or Canon.com, or BestBuy, it would be 8.99 per pack of 20 sheets.

I personally love the Photo Paper Pro, but have had good results with the Photo Paper Plus also. I am thinking about trying some of the Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper on my i9100. It is 100 sheets for $15 at CompUSA and Epson.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregersonsalvage
Epson 1280 has a nice refilll aftermarket that has'nt been beat by anyone else. You can go to www.inkjetart.com and get a continuous ink system for it bringing the cost of ink down to around a dime per 11x17. Thats a hell of a lot cheaper than printers like the cannon which will run you around .46 per 4x6 with paper.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting statements, 'Gergersonsalvage'.

Have you tried the inks from that co/website and if so how did
you get around the chip? Any Epson 1270/1280 has a computer
chip on all their ink cartridges that is a b^tch to get around.

Also, whats the quality like of those aftermarket inks as far as
print longeveity on Epson papers?? Epson inks on their paper
has proven very lightfast for me. I've used over 150 colour
cartridges of the 'T009' so far and it's been worth the expense
of staying OEM for photo longevity here for my business.

What's your experience with aftermarket inks on the Epson 1280?
Edward_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:56 AM   #8

Ive been buying 3rd party ink for my 1270 for over a year with no problems. Sometimes the printer will warn me that the new cartridge isn't standard and asks if I want to use it anyway. Even this warning doesn't pop up on every new cartridge. Quality has been excellent.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 4:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregersonsalvage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting statements, 'Gergersonsalvage'.

Have you tried the inks from that co/website and if so how did
you get around the chip? Any Epson 1270/1280 has a computer
chip on all their ink cartridges that is a b^tch to get around.

Also, whats the quality like of those aftermarket inks as far as
print longeveity on Epson papers?? Epson inks on their paper
has proven very lightfast for me. I've used over 150 colour
cartridges of the 'T009' so far and it's been worth the expense
of staying OEM for photo longevity here for my business.

What's your experience with aftermarket inks on the Epson 1280?
I've had many customers who used this CIS(continuous Ink System)
The ink that company sells is OEM match ink thus it will produce all the colors that Epsons ink does and the kit includes a special chip that makes the printer see it as 100 percent full all the time. If you just read the site you can see what they claim.

The customers I have that have used this kit and sell prints tell thier customers if it fades give it back to me I'll print you another free of charge. Its so nice when your ink costs go down to about a dime a page.

I used to Work for Epson as a rep for 3 years. I always keep and eye out for aftermarket stuff since consumers like to know this stuff is availible for thier printer thus it helps sell more epson printers.

Most of the time the average consumer is not going to buy the CIS due to the price which is pretty high. However the Bussiness customer will probably buy it add it to his printer and will probably still fill Epsons pockets on paper purchases because Epson probably has the largest and best paper selection on the market. The only thing that leaves more to be desired is the Photoglossy, little bit on the matte, and the fact that some stores don't carry the premium glossy paper.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote