Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1
csd

At the risk of posing another comparison/what-should-I-buy question - Wondering if anyone has bought a wide format (e.g. want to print 11x14, 13x19) printer recently and has compared the Epson R1800 to the Canon Pixma iP9000 and would like to share the comparison/trade-offs made.
I have had good luck with my Epson R300 (until recently) and it has nicer spec's (although doubtful you can see the difference between 1.5 and 2.0 picoliter, nor 5760x1440 versus 4800x2400 dpi) - and I love the Epson prints so was leaning in the Epson direction - but I have noticed that the Canon has gotten better reviews on some sites, and I do see some posted problems on the Epson 1800 herein.
Any thoughts, trade-offs (not just print quality, but product quality, costs (e.g. Epson photo paper is better prices - ink seems comparable), etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
JPL

Check www.epson.com for the new Epson SP1400 printer. It's a dye based 13x19 printer with 6 ink cartridges. It's listed for $399.99. Since the Pro9000 is dye based (the R1800 is pigment ink based), the SP1400 will be more similar.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:08 AM   #3
csd

Thanks for pointing out the 1400 - I had missed that entirely. Now I've got to go back and re-read the whole "pigment versus dye" ink debate
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:53 PM   #4

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...00/page-1.html

Read the review for the Pro9000, it's pretty indepth and includes video segments.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:13 AM   #5

But can you refill the new Epson 1400?????
plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:25 AM   #6

plumpkatt1 wrote:
Quote:
But can you refill the new Epson 1400?????
There is no reliable 3rd party chip for this printer at this moment. Bulk dyeink is available as a replacement for the Claira ink. Not sure if there is a chip resetter for this printer.
efillink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:16 AM   #7

Compatible and refillable cartridge for the R1400/R270 have been released in Asia, but reports indicate that Epson has already (February) modified the chips on these printers to make the compatibles redundant. So it is likely that printers manufactured from March onwards will probably not recognize these compatibles. Epson is becoming much more agressive in trying to counter the compatible market, by upgrading the chips, modifying the firmware and zoning the printers, much like DVD players
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:08 AM   #8

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
Compatible and refillable cartridge for the R1400/R270 have been released in Asia, but reports indicate that Epson has already (February) modified the chips on these printers to make the compatibles redundant. So it is likely that printers manufactured from March onwards will probably not recognize these compatibles. Epson is becoming much more agressive in trying to counter the compatible market, by upgrading the chips, modifying the firmware and zoning the printers, much like DVD players
Sure you can buy them now. If your want to be a "Beta tester". I have already tested the R260/R380, I have sent out 2 sets to a customer for testing. No go so far. Even the R270 for Asia ae not reliable as of this moment. A supplier will have to reset the service counter of his R270 3 timesdue to installing and removing the cartridge. I suggest waiting a little longer before trying outthe 3rd party cartridge for these brand new models.

Good luck.
efillink is offline   Reply With Quote