Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:25 PM   #1
bua

hi,

first post here. looks like a good forum, and since i now have a canon printer as well as an eos 350d (never posted about that cos the camera has never caused me a single problem - great bit of kit), i reckon i'll be back.

I just got a pixma mp830. i previously had an hp officejet 6110.

i always buy multifunctions as we run a business and i find these machines very useful (and they save a lot of space).

primary uses are:

printing business documents and reports (reports very often contain pages and pages of pictures printed on plain inkjet paper)

scanning documents and pictures

printing family pictures to glossy and plain paper

with my old hp machine the scans were very good. i normally scan to either acrobat 8 or photoshop cs2, and both had good colour and high definition. with the mp830 i am finding that my scans look washed out and i have tweaked settings endlessly but i am not getting great results. scanning seems to work best when i use mp navigator, but scanning direct to acrobat gives dissapointing results, which never happened with the hp (i get jaggy lines and rough text on docs for example).

printing of office docs is good and fast, but when i try to print pics the colours are coming through far too strongly. pictures look saturated with colour. i've turned down the intensity and enabled windows icm and this has improved the situation a bit, but photo prints still look pretty bad compared to my old hp.

i am pretty computer literate, but i am not colour management literate, and have always found printers and scanners good enough for my purposes when used "out of the box" in the past. this time i think i need to learn more before i get the results i need. either that or i have done something fundamentally wrong in setting up my new machine.

by the way, i have googled and googled for info, and read (and saved) posts and stuff from this site, but i wonder if i am missing something very basic here, as i haven't solved my problem yet.

by the way, this is the first cmyk printer i've had (is there something i should be doing differently now).

i hope someone can just give me some pointers. i believe i have a good machine here, but i don't think i'm using it correctly.

bua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

Acrobat may be compressing the scans differently then the HP model did. Also it may be using a different dpi setting. There are plenty of settings to tweak which can be a pain for someone who just wants it to work out of the box.

If the scans are more compressed then the file size is smaller so users will like that, however some users want the quality to be higher so they would prefer the default settings be as little compression as possible.

You might want to try using some of the software that is included on the Canon cd since it has probably been tested more with the printer and will hopefully give you the results you are looking for.

For photos being to rich in colors you should try and lower the quality setting. If need be set it to custom and click the set button. Another way to print photos with less intensity is to use plain paper mode even if you are using photopaper, this works great for me when printing dvd covers.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:55 AM   #3
bua

Quote:
Acrobat may be compressing the scans differently then the HP model did. Also it may be using a different dpi setting. There are plenty of settings to tweak which can be a pain for someone who just wants it to work out of the box.
although i would like it to work pretty much out of the box, i have tweaked the settings in acrobats options, and the scanners driver, until i am blue in the face, but i'm not getting it right.

Quote:
For photos being to rich in colors you should try and lower the quality setting. If need be set it to custom and click the set button. Another way to print photos with less intensity is to use plain paper mode even if you are using photopaper, this works great for me when printing dvd covers.
i think i got this fixed last night. for the past 3 nights i have been tweaking settings and last night i got some good results. i'll post back if things go wrong again.
bua is offline   Reply With Quote