Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:54 PM   #11

I think you should give it away and try something else or try epson's ink and if it continues(maybe the printheadneeds replacing) then you can say that your bulk ink is the best.

I use Staples brand remanufactured cartridges because the refilled ones didn't do, so I figure the printhead didn't last too long so it was useless to refill. I have an HP 990cse which likes refilled carts only part of the time.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:57 PM   #12

drbiner wrote:
Quote:

I have an Epson photo R1800 thatcontinually prints vertical lines in lighter areas and today prints them in all areas. I have tried the cleaning cycles endlessly with no success. I have tried cleaning cartriges with no success. I have tried different types of ink with no success.
Quote:
This may be a dumb question, but do the lines line up with the 'pizza wheels' that help to guide the paper? If so, the problem is likely that the ink isn't drying sufficiently before the paper feeds out. I have had this happen with some off-brand papers. If so, try disabling the high speed printing, which may allow enough drying time.
Quote:
As to the cleaning - do you get bad nozzle checks? If normal cleaning cycle doesn't work, try the SSC service utility (don't have link handy - try Google) which has a stronger cleaning program.
Quote:
I absolutely love the output I get from my R1800, and use Epson papers and inks exclusively - they WERE made to work together after all. Why use el-cheapo tires and regular gas on a Ferrari?
Quote:
Unless anyone has a viable suggestion I am going to cut my losses and take this R1800 out to the desert for target practice!
Quote:
Give it away, even if it's to someone you dislike. You can send your pictures out to be printed and let someone else worry about the printer.
Quote:
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:12 PM   #13

I have had a similar problem. I have an Epson r220 that stopped printing. I just happened to have a new unused printhead and installed it and it wont print. It will use ink doing cleanings but nothing prints on the paper. Also, I have an Epson 1280 and R800. The R800 Epson replaced for free within the first year of ownership. Also, I have been using Epson spongeless refillable carts from inksupply.com for 2 years now without problem.I use the Ultrachrome clone pignment ink from inksupply.com with GOOD luck.

Also for my 6 color Epsons, I get the 640ml IMS ink kit from Costco for 13 bucks. I love those inks. Also Costco here sells a box of 10.5 mil Kirkland Premium Glossy Photo paper for under 20 bucks for a box of 150 sheets of 8 1/2 by 11. Its also non branded on the back of the paper.Just blank white.

The refillable cartridges from inksupply are about 5.50 per cart and work like a charm....I have a set in my R800, R220, Had a set for my old dead r200, and for my 1280 as well.The ones in the r800 have self resetting chips so I dont even remove the carts to refill.I just pop the rubber stopper on the top and inject the ink....

plumpkatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:27 AM   #14

I threw mylast Epson in the bin. But I made sure I put my fist through it first. (it had it coming, believe me)
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:22 PM   #15

I have an Epson R300 and a 2200. Both of these have served me well with minor irritations over the years. One thing I noticed some time ago was that the type of paper made a big difference. When using Epson paper or some other quality papers I always get great prints. However, when using Kodak Premium brand paper I would always get verticletrack marks from the printer wheels. My assumption is that the paper/ ink combo does not dry quickly enough ,causing the wheels to make the track marks.My advice is togo back to the Epson inks andtry it with a batch of Epson paper.

Good luck!

aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:43 PM   #16

Just to add to this as owner of an r1800 for 5 months only...machine still under guarantee............my machine may well go the same way. I have an issue that the GO light is on and yet the cartridge is virtually full as it is almost new....and I cannot get rid of the red light...hence cannot you the printer.

Epson are less than helpful and dont believe the blurb they pit out about their EXpress Centres in the UK. My nearest denied being Epson trained and said that Epson wouldn't even sell them spare parts!

The machine is not cheap and as you end up replacing two or three cartridges every time one gets low...load of crap...perhaps go back to my old 1200 machine...but Epson dont get my next or any future order
alanwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:44 PM   #17

I have an Epson R1800. Just about 2 years now. I will never buy another Epson because of the nozzle clogging situation.

I have ONLY USED epson ink, paid the enourmous price for colors I hardly use. It cloggs up about every 2 weeks. Takes me 45 minutes of repeat cleaning and replacing about 5 ink cartridges every time.

I needed a inkjet printer for occasional photo printing, but mostly for printing picking tickets for my store, which is printed in draft.

I'd like to know an address to file a complaint about this with Epson.
aburles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:21 AM   #18

If you believe there is still ink in the cartridge. Try the SSC utility to reset the chip so the flashing LED will not continue. Try not to run the cartridge empty as this will cause ink to dry in the print heads.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
efillink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:51 AM   #19

aburles wrote:
Quote:
I have an Epson R1800. Just about 2 years now. I will never buy another Epson because of the nozzle clogging situation.

I have ONLY USED epson ink, paid the enourmous price for colors I hardly use. It cloggs up about every 2 weeks. Takes me 45 minutes of repeat cleaning and replacing about 5 ink cartridges every time.

I needed a inkjet printer for occasional photo printing, but mostly for printing picking tickets for my store, which is printed in draft.

I'd like to know an address to file a complaint about this with Epson.
There are three ways ( a forth before the printer goes to the recycling center) to clean printer nozzles:

1. Spray small amount of Windex, Mr Muscle Window Cleaner, or Simple Green/Distilled water mixture onto the ink pad. Let the cleaner soak into the print head to clear the clog. This required moving the cartridge carrier away from the ink pad.

2. Use 1 - 2 ml of cleaning fluid ( Windex or Mr Muscle ) in a syringe fitted with a short flexible tube, or a straw, to fit on top of the nozzle after removing the cartridge.. Soak the head overnight. Do not apply pressure when using this method unless you are ready to give up the printer for recycling

3. Fill a used cartrdige with Windex, use it to print solid color pattern. Print 3 - 5 full pages at a time and allow the printer to rest for a couple of hours before printing again.

Caution

These are methods from personal experience and it does work for me. But if you use thes methods, you agree to assume full responsibility for possible damage to the printer and bodily harm. Take care to avoid electrical shock.

Too must cleaning fluid would short out electrical circuit or cause bodily harm. Should you have any doubt, stop and email me for free assistance.

http://www.efillink.com/public/viewtopic.php?t=21

efillink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 5:46 AM   #20

My experience with Epson printers and compatible inks is there is no more problem with clogging than if using genuine Epson inks. I use continuous flow systems on Epsons, work them hard and generally get about 25000 pages out of them before they just wear out, mainly in the paper feed, but still printing OK. So much for the inks damaging the printheads. And with 125ml ink worth the same as 14 Epson cartridges, it does not make any sense at all to use the genuine product. And with a genuine Epson cartridge costing about A$20 for 9ml ink, of which about 3ml is left in the cartridge when it says empty, you are paying Epson the equivalent of about A$2200 per litre for ink - enjoy your Epson cartridges. Better to use the generic ink and with the fortune you save, spend it on other printers, photo papers, new computers - whatever.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote