Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 2, 2007, 9:59 AM   #21

Actually, I had problems with the R800 using non Epson inks. I could get it clean eventually and had no problems since. There is a new book out on fine art printing, talking about inks and Epson printers. I just read it. I think it is the best book out there. "Fine Art Printing for Photographers" by Steinmueller
Gary Arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:04 PM   #22

Thought i would just add something interesting to this.
Ive just picked up very cheaply an Epson photo 2100, 2200 in the us, for £80. The lady selling it had not used it for months.
I was at first a little dubious about buying it but she said that there were no blockages and test print was ok, i trusted her as she is in our camera club.

I got it home two days ago and sure as eggs is eggs absolutely no blockages.
It came with 12 assorted genuine epson inks and i could see that it has not been used hardly at all as the sell by date of these was dated June 2005.

Im not certain of the ink formulation as to if they are identical to the r1800, i know they are both pigment, but i can only assume that the fact the printer has only been used with genuine epson it has not had permanent damage from not being used for so many months.

Myself although i purchased this printer very cheaply, i will not be running 3rd party inks through it.
I have done so in the past on my cheaper printers, if they fail after saving some money on a cheap printer so be it, but this 2100 prints superbly and id like to make full use of it as ive been lucky enough to find one.

Smudg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 9:04 PM   #23

Quite a large number of problems with Epson printers tend to be due to the printer being left on, or shut off from a switch an a power strip, instead of using the printer on/off switch. These printers need to cycle through a shutdown routine which is initiated by the power switch. Failure to do this can prevent the head from parking properly, allowing ink to leak and also dry out in the print head.

Using non- OEM ink cost me one (inexpensive) Epson printer. I use only genuine carts in my R1800, and haven't had a problem. Definitely worth it from the standpoint of quality. If you want to print cheaply, buy a cheap printer, or save the time and trouble and send out your prints.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:33 PM   #24

drbiner wrote:
Quote:

I have an Epson photo R1800 thatcontinually prints vertical lines in lighter areas and today prints them in all areas. I have tried the cleaning cycles endlessly with no success. I have tried cleaning cartriges with no success. I have tried different types of ink with no success.

To add injury to insult, each time I use the cleaning cycle it eats up valuable ink. I know someone out there is going to say something like, "Ya know ur suppost ta use genuine Epson ink...!", but if the thing is THAT sensitive what good is it? The Epson cartriges are very expensive!

I also have a smaller Canon printer with which I never have issues such as these.

Unless anyone has a viable suggestion I am going to cut my losses and take this R1800 out to the desert for target practice!
YES, throw the darn thing out! LOL I too have had Canon's for about 5 years now with NO issues of clogging, banding and the like. We're known for years that the Canon print head is removable and hence, "cleanable" if necessary and the utility in the softtware does not help. I've resurected Canon print heads before, but typically, that's one huge difference between the hardware with Epson and Canon. The Epson would alwasy require a service call, hence money, and the Canon, not, because the print head comes out.I actually have a Canon Pro9000 now and LOVE IT!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:58 PM   #25

Well, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. I own an R1800 and have had it a year and a half or so. Today, for the first time, the heads were clogged and I cannot get the Yellow one unclogged (Keep in mind I have not used it for over 2 months). First off, the manual tells you specifically to print a test page once a week or so to keep the ink flowing. Everyone has to remember that Epson leads the industry in micro head technology, and everyone should know that smaller droplets mean better photo production.

The manual also specifically states to use the specially formualted ink, and while it may be more expensive and that statement may be a little self-serving, it also is designed for best user satisfaction. No different than some of the higher end automobiles requiring higher octane fuel to perform at their best. I certainly would not put convenient store el-cheapo gasoline in a Ferrari for the sake of saving a few pennies per use. The Epson ink was designed for the printer. The Epson paper was designed for the ink. If you choose to use 3rd party ink and paper, you sacrifice the quality. Believe me, it is not a conspiracy theory by Epson. As a professional photographer, I would not take chances like that. As for the Ferrari statement, I drive a Dodge, so I have not personally tested that.

Keep in mind also that the ink has an expiration date. I make sure to buy my ink a day or two before I intend to put it in the printer, and I check the date at the store to get the freshest ink I can find.

My printer clogged because I did not follow the guidelines for the last couple of months because of a heavy travel schedule, not because the printer is junk. As a matter of fact, I would challenge anyone to produce a better print on any similar level printer. I know that printers are a matter of preference, just like Nikon versus Canon cameras, but you cannot argue with the results. The R1800 is a professional printer that requires professional upkeep and professional media and supplies. When any of those variables are compromised, you take the chance of having the problems noted in this thread or the one I am experiencing now.

If you are still dissatisfied with your R1800, you could send it to me. I could always use a spare.:G
markeluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:12 AM   #26

Hi, well hopefully now you have solved your printer problem. but in case you haven't it could be a problem with Leopard on your mac. if you recently switched system software to leopard, your drivers would have been wiped out.

all you need to do is throw out the drivers leopard installed in the library folder and reinstall the drivers from the epson website
lorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeluther View Post
Well, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. I own an R1800 and have had it a year and a half or so. Today, for the first time, the heads were clogged and I cannot get the Yellow one unclogged (Keep in mind I have not used it for over 2 months). First off, the manual tells you specifically to print a test page once a week or so to keep the ink flowing. Everyone has to remember that Epson leads the industry in micro head technology, and everyone should know that smaller droplets mean better photo production.

The manual also specifically states to use the specially formualted ink, and while it may be more expensive and that statement may be a little self-serving, it also is designed for best user satisfaction. No different than some of the higher end automobiles requiring higher octane fuel to perform at their best. I certainly would not put convenient store el-cheapo gasoline in a Ferrari for the sake of saving a few pennies per use. The Epson ink was designed for the printer. The Epson paper was designed for the ink. If you choose to use 3rd party ink and paper, you sacrifice the quality. Believe me, it is not a conspiracy theory by Epson. As a professional photographer, I would not take chances like that. As for the Ferrari statement, I drive a Dodge, so I have not personally tested that.

Keep in mind also that the ink has an expiration date. I make sure to buy my ink a day or two before I intend to put it in the printer, and I check the date at the store to get the freshest ink I can find.

My printer clogged because I did not follow the guidelines for the last couple of months because of a heavy travel schedule, not because the printer is junk. As a matter of fact, I would challenge anyone to produce a better print on any similar level printer. I know that printers are a matter of preference, just like Nikon versus Canon cameras, but you cannot argue with the results. The R1800 is a professional printer that requires professional upkeep and professional media and supplies. When any of those variables are compromised, you take the chance of having the problems noted in this thread or the one I am experiencing now.

If you are still dissatisfied with your R1800, you could send it to me. I could always use a spare.:G
I've tried the original ink, and epson paper, but I get equally great results with red river paper, and cheap refillable ink cartridges. I was worried at first to risk of destroying the printer, but when the originals ran out so quickly, and the replacement cost being so high I figured it was worth the risk. I'm happy I did. It may be a little messy, but I'm able to print a lot more than I would otherwise.
antoniomonteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:00 PM   #28

I won't tell you what to do with the 1800, I came very close to buying one when they were out for about a year. I really had all intentions of buying the Canon Pro 9000 but while looking at it in the store I noticed HP had a wide format printer the 8550B that has a spot for 4x6s and prints up to 13x19 and although I haven't tried I guess it will do banner as well. It does print borderless although I haven't tried on the 13x19 and I've heard at that size it leaves a 1/8 inch border. It only takes 5 cartridges, they are reasonable but it does use some ink if you're printing large format. The pictures are gorgeous and I've had no issues with anything on it. It is a little noisy but so far has done a great job on all I've printed up to 12x16. Here's the difference, I found one new on ebay shipped for 170 bucks. The difference between that and a 4 or 500 dollar machine will buy a lot of ink. It gets great reviews and in my opinion doesn't need 8 or 10 cartridges to produce beautiful photos. Sell the 1800 once you get it working and check this one out, you won't be sorry you did.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
We're not talking about Canon printers, this topic is about a clogged Epson R1800.
I have always used only the specified Epson ink cartridges and have pretty much the same problem. We have spent hundreds on ink cartridges and repeated cleaning cycles and the prints are still completely screwed up. What is your advice?
dbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeluther View Post

How can I fix mine if the heads are clogged? Can it be fixed?
dbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote