Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 12, 2011, 3:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikanuki View Post
My experience with Epson printers and compatible inks is there is no more problem with clogging than if using genuine Epson inks. I use continuous flow systems on Epsons, work them hard and generally get about 25000 pages out of them before they just wear out, mainly in the paper feed, but still printing OK. So much for the inks damaging the printheads. And with 125ml ink worth the same as 14 Epson cartridges, it does not make any sense at all to use the genuine product. And with a genuine Epson cartridge costing about A$20 for 9ml ink, of which about 3ml is left in the cartridge when it says empty, you are paying Epson the equivalent of about A$2200 per litre for ink - enjoy your Epson cartridges. Better to use the generic ink and with the fortune you save, spend it on other printers, photo papers, new computers - whatever.
I used nothing but genuine Epson inks and after about two years, had nothing but problems. I may try yet another cleaning procedure before I throw the unit in the trash. I think these things are designed to fail after a certain time, so you will be another one. It's very frustrating.
dbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
How can I fix mine if the heads are clogged? Can it be fixed?
It depends on how badly clogged the head is. If a couple cleaning cycles don't fix it, try the Windex method - move the carriage to the ink change position, and pull the plug, wet down the sponges in the parking position with Windex or household ammonia, plug back in, then turn the printer off. Leave it overnight, an then try a cleaning cycle again. If necessary, repeat.
This works most of the time.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
I used nothing but genuine Epson inks and after about two years, had nothing but problems. I may try yet another cleaning procedure before I throw the unit in the trash. I think these things are designed to fail after a certain time, so you will be another one. It's very frustrating.
Hi,

The link that follows is a complete set of instructions on how to clean and maintain various Epson pigmented ink based printers, including the R-1800.

http://www.piezography.com/support/p...tm#flush_carts

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THERE ARE A NUMBER OF INSTRUCTIONS FOR DIFFERENT MODELS OF PRINTERS. BE SURE TO FOLLOW ONLY THOSE THAT PERTAIN TO YOUR MODEL PRINTER.

FWIW, I've owned and operated various Epson Model 2200 pigmented printers for the last 4 years. They are long in the tooth, but are remarkably durable workhorses. You can't kill them.

There are two basic problems that crop up. Heads get clogged from a total lack of use and/or someone uses a non OEM ink.

The procedures that I would recommend are:

check to see if the color that appears to be blocked has a cartridge with a closed vent hole. Each cartridge has a vent hole to allow for proper flow of ink. Sometimes those vent holes get covered by the label. Ensure that the vent hole is open.

Use the windex procedure recommended by VT photog.

As a last resort, you can take a small syringe, add a piece of plastic tubing with the inside diameter matching the ink hole in the head. Take the cartridge out and with a flashlight you'll be able to see the hole where the ink flows from the cartridge to the piezo head. Fill the syringe with isopropyl alcohol and flush the head with it. note this is a messy procedure and should be used as a last resort

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:17 PM   #34

Default R.i.p. R1800?

So I always used Epson Original Ink. Didn't use my printer for many months. Tried to use it and ran multiple head cleaning steps including what they recommend with windex and printer head cleaning by Epson. Used many ml of ink. I tried the windex method injected into the printer head and dampenning the pad under the carriage.

The yellow, cyan, photo black are fine. The MatteBlack, red and blue are apparently still clogged or that is what the "check nozzles" apparently says by giving me spotted lines.

At this point I don't think my printer can work again.

Any suggestions?
ErickPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:02 PM   #35

How bad does the nozzle check pattern look? If it is only partly blocked on some colors, you may be able to eventually get it back. Try printing photo which uses the affected cartridges, once daily for a few days. Frequent use will sometimes clear out the dried ink. Maybe.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
How bad does the nozzle check pattern look? If it is only partly blocked on some colors, you may be able to eventually get it back. Try printing photo which uses the affected cartridges, once daily for a few days. Frequent use will sometimes clear out the dried ink. Maybe.

brian
The nozzle check as of right now has NO color on the MatteBlack, Red and Blue. It prints absolutely no lines. When I can make it better the lines are very spotted. Have you seen the Nozzle Check window by the Epson Software? well it looks like the Cyan sample on that window.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:17 PM   #37

Default I think is time to replace...

I tried the cleaning with windex and think my printer is worse now...

Now it won't even print any dark reds. When I print the Nozzle Check there are three colors that don't show:

Red, Blue and MatteBlack.

They don't print at all.

Before the windex, they would print in the Nozzle Check, here and then but showed something... not anymore
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickPRO View Post
I tried the cleaning with windex and think my printer is worse now...

Now it won't even print any dark reds. When I print the Nozzle Check there are three colors that don't show:

Red, Blue and MatteBlack.

They don't print at all.

Before the windex, they would print in the Nozzle Check, here and then but showed something... not anymore
It has been a few days since you last posted. Hopefully, you left the printer alone for that time as performing all the cleaning procedures, including the Windex steps, can actually make things worse as air bubbles can get into the head blocking the in from flowing properly. Leaving the printer alone for 2 or 3 days is the best thing to do.

If you haven't given up totally and still have ink in the cartridges, run a print test page and see which colors are printing. Most likely, the red and blue probably are printing something- maybe not the entire test pattern but something should appear. I won't be surprised if the matte black does not print at all. In my experience, I've found it to be the most stubborn to come back.

My suggestion would be to get a small syringe and a piece of plastic tubing that
can fit over the ink port inside the print head. You can access the hole, by taking out the affected cartridge. Fill the syringe with isopropyl alcohol and force a few cc thru the head. Have a paper towel below the head to catch the drippings. Once you see fluid running thru, onto the towel, remove the syringe/tubing and install the cartridge, run a head cleaning cycle. This procedure has been successful for me when I've bought used printers that have been sitting idle for months and no amount of head cleaning cycles solved the problem. The syringe technique, while messy, does work.

One caveat; if you need to buy cartridges, you may simply be better off investing that money into a new printer.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:35 PM   #39

Zig,

Thanks for the reply. I will use alcohol this time instead of windex. I did exactly what you said with the syringe and used windex. The red and blue are printing some lines now but really badly. The MatteBlack is printing one really tiny single line on the nozzle patern check.

I still have some ink left. I will try it untill I am out of ink.

I can buy an Epson 2200 for about $200 rarely used but no ink left from a friend.

I can also buy a Canon 9000 MKII for $230 brand new on eBay.

Suggestions?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickPRO View Post
Zig,

Thanks for the reply. I will use alcohol this time instead of windex. I did exactly what you said with the syringe and used windex. The red and blue are printing some lines now but really badly. The MatteBlack is printing one really tiny single line on the nozzle patern check.

I still have some ink left. I will try it untill I am out of ink.

I can buy an Epson 2200 for about $200 rarely used but no ink left from a friend.

I can also buy a Canon 9000 MKII for $230 brand new on eBay.

Suggestions?

Hi,

If I were in your shoes and couldn't get the existing R1800 printer to print properly, I would buy the Canon Pro9000MKII. It utilizes dye inks that do not clog or dry up. It is a workhorse of a printer which prints considerably faster than the Epson 2200 Stylus Pro. I would also say that the Canon's Pro900MKII print quality is better than the older Epson 2200.

Over the last 5+ years, I've bought and sold at least 5 Epson 2200 printers. They are very durable, but have a tendency to get clogged orifices if you don't use the printer often. To me the clogged orifices were never really a problem as I ran a nozzle check, then ran a nozzle cleaning procedure. The printers came up just fine.

Flushing alcohol thru the heads using a syringe was an extreme procedure that I used on a couple of printers that I bought from people that let the printer sit idle for more than a year. They both came up.

Today, I have and still use an Epson 2200, largely because it has a cutter and also can print panoramas up to 13 x 38 long.

A couple of years ago, I bought the Canon Pro9000MKII. By comparison , can print only up to 13 x 19. However, I really love this printer for the speed and quality. If your printing requirements don't exceed 13 x 19, then this would be a great upgrade.

The one think that I hate about all printers that use small disposable ink cartridges is you go thru buckets of ink cartridges. For that reason, I bought a used Epson Pro4000 wide carriage printer that accepts roll stock up to 17" wide
The ink comes 110ml or 220ml cartridges. They are expensive. I pay about
$65 bucks per cartridge for the 110ml cartridge and there are 8 colors in the printer. So, if you have to buy all 8 cartridges at once, your wallet starts crying. However, the cost per print is considerably less expensive.

I bought the Epson Pro4000 for $350USD(used on craig'slist). I paid for it in ink savings in less than 6months.

Today,
I use all 3 printers. The Epson 2200 for panos up to 13 x 38 long. Then Canon for note and greeting cards. The Epson Pro4000 W for 17" x 38 panos.