Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:43 PM   #41

Hi again,

I don't need to print panos, 11x14 is usually the biggest I print since is the typical frame size.

I've printed thousands of 8x10 on another epson and love the quality so I left my R1800 sitting for a long time mainly because I wasn't printing any 11x14 and was sending out bigger prints to a ProShop. I do want to get back at printing my own 11x14 again so I can deliver quicker.

Locally my store wants $450 for that Canon Pro9000 MKII or eBay for about $300 and I can get Original Ink Cartridges for $10 dollars each, that is one dollar per ml I guess.

I read that the Canon isn't great on glossy papers and that the blacks are faded quickly because of the ink being dye and not pigment. Since you own both... what do you say about that matter?

I have heard about the CIS from inkrepublic and people say it's a good investment but who knows... it sells for about 250 and if I add the cost of the new printer I would be paying about $600 so for that much I would rather buy a better printer like the R3000.

Anyway, I just did another purge with alcohol, I injected 4ml of alcohol into each color. Let's see what happens in about two more days and I will make my mind. Either order that Canon on eBay or buy it here for $450.
ErickPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:39 AM   #42

My experience with the Canon Pro9000MKII has been very positive relative to the inks fading characteristics. However, I generally print on either Red River
Paper's 'River Linen' textured stock which is a matte finished product or their
68lb Arctic Polar Satin which is a satin semi gloss paper.

Both deliver beautiful results and I don't have any fading issues. All of my printing is done for sale as I produce notes cards as well as photographs of landscapes and seascapes. They are all sold at local galleries. I've been growing my little cottage business for the last 4 yrs and have yet to encounter an incident where fading was problem. But then, I'm careful to use the manufacturers ink. Both in the Canon and Epson printers.

I did try some non-OEM ink in the Pro900MKII, ran some sunlight tests and very quickly found out that fading was indeed a major problem. I ended up flushing the entire system and going back to the Canon CLI-8 series of inks.

As for the Epson R3000, when I need to replace my 9000 and 2200 printers,
they will be replaced by the R3000. I've a friend who has one and print quality is superb.
My logic in not replacing the 9000 with another 9000 is the fact that I print a lot of 13 x 19 prints as well as 13 x 38 panos. While the 9000 can print the 13x19 prints, it is not capable of printing the 13 x 38.

Hope your successful in resurrecting your printer.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:12 AM   #43

Okay I ran out of ink and is a no go. So today made a four hour trip and got a Pro9000MKII for $130 (brand new with receipt for warranty) from someone else. Did you install the software and/or use the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint Pro plug in with Photoshop or are you using a different way of ICC profiling? It's all new to me since I have always used Epson Printers.

Thanks Zig,

Erick
ErickPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickPRO View Post
Okay I ran out of ink and is a no go. So today made a four hour trip and got a Pro9000MKII for $130 (brand new with receipt for warranty) from someone else. Did you install the software and/or use the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint Pro plug in with Photoshop or are you using a different way of ICC profiling? It's all new to me since I have always used Epson Printers.

Thanks Zig,

Erick
Wow! If the printer is brand new with a complete set of ink cartridges, that is one heck of a deal. The set of cartridges alone sell for around 80bucks.

I downloaded the Canon print drivers but not the plug-in. I use Photoshop CS5 and downloaded all the ICC color profiles for the specific papers I use from Red River Paper.
When you download the print driver, it should also include all the Canon ICC profiles plus generic profiles for you to choose from. I will say that my experience with the Canon printer has been WYSIWYG. The Epson printers are a little trickier to work with.

Great choice.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:35 AM   #45

First impression on the Canon Pro9000MKII that I aquired brand new for $130 with ink is a go go win win situation. This printer is just awesome. Printed on glossy as well with out any problems and I believe the prints looks even closer to my monitor than my old Epson printers.

Thanks for the time and your recommendations Zig.

Erick
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #46

Hi Erik,

I'm glad to hear that the Canon 9000MKII appears to be the solution.
The only problem I've found with that printer when I first got mine was that the prints were so good, I wanted to print everything in sight.

Zig