Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:34 AM   #1

I have an Epson photo R1800 thatcontinually prints vertical lines in lighter areas and today prints them in all areas. I have tried the cleaning cycles endlessly with no success. I have tried cleaning cartriges with no success. I have tried different types of ink with no success.

To add injury to insult, each time I use the cleaning cycle it eats up valuable ink. I know someone out there is going to say something like, "Ya know ur suppost ta use genuine Epson ink...!", but if the thing is THAT sensitive what good is it? The Epson cartriges are very expensive!

I also have a smaller Canon printer with which I never have issues such as these.

Unless anyone has a viable suggestion I am going to cut my losses and take this R1800 out to the desert for target practice!
drbiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Administrator

I have been using the R1800 for quite a while now and have had zero problems with it. I use genuine Epson ink carts and frankly wouldn't use anything else. Why buy a $500 printer and then use cheapo inks? These hi-res printers have incredibly small size jet nozzles that the ink goes through and the inks are specifically formulated for the print heads. Clogging is probably the biggest complaint heard from folks using third-party inks. It just isn't worth the financial risk in my opinion and you void your warranty as well. Happy target practice.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the totally useless reply, Steve! It sounds like you are more interested in making points with Epson than offering any workable solution. As for "cheapo inks," there are some very good inks out there that don't rip off the user. After paying $500.00 for a printer we shouldn't have to shell out $$$ for Epson ink just to use the product. But I'm sure you won't agree with that statement since you have to keep your friends at Epson happy.
drbiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4

Have you tried aligning the print heads?

It's not all that likely that it's the ink at fault..

If you can post a scan of an offending print with details of the printer settings at the time, that might help in diagnosing your problem.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5

Personally I am majorly pulling for Kodak in the photographic inkjet printing field. Here is a vendor whose sole mission is to make high quality printing affordable unlike the rest of the vultures (HP, Epson, Canon) out there. Kodak is going to sell you ink that lasts a 100 years (pigment) and is priced at most half of what is currently out there. Can they a good job? Heck yeah! They have an HP team from the top down. I have seen Vivera pigment inks and the prints look very nice – enough to make me think about dumping my R1800 on eBay in exchange for a B9180 but this news from Kodak was a pleasant surprise and I'll wait just a tad before dumping the Epson – either way bye bye Epson.
vkakula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:42 PM   #6
Administrator

drbiner wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the totally useless reply, Steve! It sounds like you are more interested in making points with Epson than offering any workable solution. As for "cheapo inks," there are some very good inks out there that don't rip off the user. After paying $500.00 for a printer we shouldn't have to shell out $$$ for Epson ink just to use the product. But I'm sure you won't agree with that statement since you have to keep your friends at Epson happy.
That's the reply that I figured that I would get. I don't have to make anyone "happy" - they don't pay me for reviews. Your only avenue now is to replace the printhead as from what you describe it is permanently clogged. This will require Epson service as the printhead is not user replaceable. If you plan to continue using non-OEM inks then you will surely clog it again in the future so why waste your money. I don't think there is anything thatanyone can say to help you as you have already made up your mind that you can use whatever ink you want in your printer anddon't expect it to be a problem. This is not my experience and judging from the number of other posts that I've read here and on other forums, it isthe unfortunate truth of using third party inks. But I wish you luck inyour quest anyway.

You can find some self repair tips here, maybe it will help:

http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/cleaning.html

Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:39 PM   #7

steve wrote:
Quote:
drbiner wrote:
Quote:
That's the reply that I figured that I would get. I don't have to make anyone "happy" - they don't pay me for reviews. Your only avenue now is to replace the printhead as from what you describe it is permanently clogged. This will require Epson service as the printhead is not user replaceable. If you plan to continue using non-OEM inks then you will surely clog it again in the future so why waste your money. I don't think there is anything thatanyone can say to help you as you have already made up your mind that you can use whatever ink you want in your printer anddon't expect it to be a problem. This is not my experience and judging from the number of other posts that I've read here and on other forums, it isthe unfortunate truth of using third party inks. But I wish you luck inyour quest anyway.

You can find some self repair tips here, maybe it will help:

http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/cleaning.html

Steve your completely wrong. Many owners of the Canon i9900 and now the Pro9000 have use high quality bulk ink for years and have saved tons of money from the overpriced OEM ink.

Epsons have always had clogging problems whether you use there ink or bulk ink.

Sadly there are plenty of poor quality inks on the market but the ones made in the usa are much better. I currently like Hobbicolors UW8 ink with a Pro9000 as the best setup for printing good quality in volume.

There is also a new pigment ink CISS kit out which is intended for the Pro9500 but can also be used in the Pro9000. I have not tried it but the idea of using long lasting pigment ink in a Pro9000 just ups the ante agianst high priced oem ink.

====
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:19 PM   #8
Administrator

We're not talking about Canon printers, this topic is about a clogged Epson R1800.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:08 PM   #9

steve wrote:
Quote:
We're not talking about Canon printers, this topic is about a clogged Epson R1800.
In that case I think he should throw it in the dumpster or use it for target practice and then buy a Canon Pro9000. :lol: :blah: :blah: :lol:

Attached Images

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:54 PM   #10

I am not an expert but I have an Epson Stylus Photo 960 that I believe has (had) a similar problem....Lift the hood and look where the paper path goes...do you have plastic ribs that elevate the paper above a bed of what looks like ink soaked foam? I had a problem where the foam at one end folded up (the opposite end of the park position) I was getting smearing...after placing it down; I then got vertical (what I call wide [2mm or so] ) stripes on the leading and some times the trailing edge of the paper....mostly card stock.If I didn't see ink, I saw "track marks" on the paper. I used "balled up pieces of coffee filter to soak up what I considered excess ink from the foam. I also used a coffee filter (no lint) dipped in a little water and cleaned all the ribs off. Then I started to use the envelope setting or the front feed tray for heavy stock. This has done the trick for me. I have always gotten superb prints from this printer and this was the first irritating problem. (and I always use Epson cartridges. I agree with Steve; what's the point in spending big bucks on a printer and getting cheap with the materials....this printer came from Epson's refurbished printers. It was significantly cheaper,worked great out of the box and I got TWO sets of everything (CD printing feed tray,front feeder and bulk roller feeds) Hope this helps.
akey is offline   Reply With Quote