Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:36 AM   #1

Default infrequent photo printer use . . . potential problems?

i'm in the process of purchasing my first photo printer (seem to have narrowed things down to the Canon i850). i will however realistically only be printing a full colour photo only about once or twice a week.

am i going to be faced with clogging problems?

are there other issues which arise when one prints so infrequently?

regards, HILTON
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2003, 6:48 AM   #2

there are no reported clogs (at least I don't hear any) with Canons new printheads. They are ultra-durable so there should be no problems.

You might do a cleaning cycle after you leave it unused for about 3-4 weeks but that's all.

I have used i850 as well as i950 for a couple of months now and I haven't done a cleaning cycle even once - the quality is still terrific.

Wayne
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:35 AM   #3

Default printer self cleans

the printer will go through a self cleaning if left turned off for a day so don't worrie.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:41 AM   #4

As long as you use it at least once a month clogging should not be an issue for you.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne123
there are no reported clogs (at least I don't hear any) with Canons new printheads. They are ultra-durable so there should be no problems.

You might do a cleaning cycle after you leave it unused for about 3-4 weeks but that's all.

I have used i850 as well as i950 for a couple of months now and I haven't done a cleaning cycle even once - the quality is still terrific.

Wayne
Wayne,

In addition to what others have said, I recommend turning the printer off when you are not using it because it probably parks the heads in a position in which they are less likely to dry out. (I know this is true of Epsons and I assume it is likely to be true for a Cannon, though they do work in a different way...)

Regards,
<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote