Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:06 AM   #1

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what type of profile I need for an epson 9000 using photoshop is it a RGB or CMYK profile, a rival at my local photo club has bought a few of the profiles from ebay for canvas and glossy paper and the difference in his prints is great, I don't want to ask his advice, so I was hoping someone here could advise me.

They use a DTP20 & 70 (dunno if this helps or not).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Custom-ICC-ICM...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
Muaythai
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:58 PM   #2

The Epson Stylus Pro 9000 could be purchased either with or without RIP (Raster Image Processing). If your 9000 has RIP then you should probably get the CMYK ICC Printer Profile. If your 9000 does not have RIP then get the RGB ICC Printer Profile.

Your monitor is RGB. Most digital cameras and scanners work are RGB. Adobe Photoshop can work in either RGB or CMYK mode. The vast majority of inkjet printers use RGB ICC Printer profiles despite having CMYK ink cartridges.

For best possible results consider color management for all your peripherals - monitor, camera, printer, scanner (if used) - to get the best color match possible. The ultimate for many is WYSIWYG, what you see is what you get,meaning what you see on the monitormatches with what is printed out. The DTP 20/70 you refer to are scanning devices called spectrophotometers that are used to measure color(wavelength of light)and build ICC Profiles. There are several systems you can purchase to make your own ICC Profiles at home such as products from http://www.xritephoto.com/product/and http://www.colorvision.com/.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:09 PM   #3

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Muaythai
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:19 PM   #4

You are welcome.

One thing to consider is that the ICC printer profile you have made for you will be specific to the paper and ink used in the process. If you change either ink or paper, or both, then you will need another ICC profile for optimal results.

The amount charged by the eBay vendor is pretty inexpensive for a custom made ICC printer profile. I imagine the vendor could make some recommendations since your printer is well enough known.

Good luck and have fun!

Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:36 AM   #5

Hi,

Got my profiles through, they make a big big difference, I thought my prints looked okay, but now when I compare them to the prints made with the custom profiles, they just look dull and lifeless.

Going to order some more for art paper etc..

Thank you for your help

Muaythai
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:38 AM   #6

Happy to hear of your good results!

Thanks for letting us know.