Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:18 AM   #1

Does anyone else have a Canon they also use as a card reader? I have the MP600, and I'm finding it a little annoying, because everytime i turn the printer on, I have to manually change the settings on the printer, to change from "read" to "read/write" so I can clear my card after downloading.

I don't think there's anyways around it - i just wanted to lament with someone - and maybe someone knows if there IS a solution that I haven't thought of yet.
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't know the answer to your question.

But, my suggestion would be to use the camera's menu choice for format prior to each reuse of your memory card.

It's just as fast as deleting the images with most cameras anyway, and that insures that you always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.

I never delete images from a memory card using a PC, because depending on the driver and how it's setup (whether or not it allows quick removal by flushing cache buffers to media faster), deleting images from a PC can cause a corrupted FAT. I also never "cut and paste" images from a memory card using a PC for the same reason (because the cut part is a delete and writes to the card).

Basically, I try not to write to my memory cards using anything other than the camera's menu choices, and if I ever do (I've been known to use memory cards for transferring files between PCs), I make *sure* to format it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again (which I do prior to every use of a memory card anyway).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:49 PM   #3

Ok! Thanks Jim. I never realized the cards and how you read/write to them could be so picky.
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:00 PM   #4
Administrator

Many people do delete images from a card (or cut and paste images which is really doing the same thing), and never have any problems.

But, some drivers are not setup for "fast removal" (and as a result the operating system may cache some of the writes so that they're not flushed to media when you remove it, unless you use the "safely remove" icon that you'll sometimes find in your system tray.

So, personally, I just don't write to a memory card using anything other than the camera I'm using it in, unless absolutely necessary, and I prefer to start out with a fresh FAT on a card prior to every use by using the camera's menu choice for format.

I feel much more confident that I'm not going to have a problem due to a corrupted FAT later, that may not be apparent at the time you start shooting with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote