Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Any good aftermarket ink tanks for the i950

I got an i950 which works great on many kinds of brand name papers (except for the Kodak Premium Glossy :evil: ) when I use the original Canon BCI 6 ink tanks, each of the 6 cartridges cost me about 23 CAD with tax, thats 23x6=138 CAD! Even though I only need to replace the Y,PM,PC while the others stay virtually full after printing approx. 44 letter size photos, it still cost me a lot. Then I tried a couple of aftermarket ink tanks but the result is HORRIFYING, there is a strong deep magenta cast all over the picture no matter what kind of paper I tried (including the Pro and Plus papers). I've been using the same brand of aftermarket cartridge for my Epson 880 which worked great, but the i950... it's totally unacceptable. Does anyone know or have tried any aftermarket brands of cartridges which work fine as replacement for the Canon BCI 6 with the i950 or S900? Thanks
godspeed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:35 PM   #2

I've got some that I'm about to try out.
They are from http://www.voltexx.com/searchprods.asp?txtsearch=BCI-6
I'll post my report here after the test. It might be a while since I'm still on the tanks that came with the printer.
Sand57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 1:18 PM   #3

Hi Godspeed,
I have been using ink and cartridges from Inkjet Goodies in myCanon i950 for several weeks now. Found out about the Inkjet Goodies system/inks on the "Printers and Printing Forum" @ Dpreview. MANY!!! forum participants there use IJG inks. Here is a link to the Dpreview Printers and Printing Forum:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003
Here is a link to the Inkjet Goodies site, look under "refilling":
http://www.inkjetgoodies.com/
I used a Canon S800 printer prior to getting the i950. Both use the same ink/tanks. The cheapest I have found the Canon inks for locally has been $11.50 ea. @ Office Depot. With the Inkjet Goodies refill kit, users are reporting that it costs about $1.25 per complete individual cart refill. My prints thus far, using the IJG inks have been terrific. Lots of archieved and current posts re: 3rd party inks and i950 etc. on the "Printers and Printing Forum". Bottom line for me has been that ALL dye based inkjet photos are going to fade, some faster than others. It seems that some studies are finding that the combination of Canon inks with their Photo Paper Pro are among the FASTEST to fade under some circumstances. Paying (unnecessary!) big $ to watch that process just doesn't make sense to me, when the prints made with IJG ink and, for instance, Office Depot Premium High Gloss Photo Paper results in such outstanding quality. Side by side viewing comparisongs with Canon/Canon and OD/IJG show little if ANY discernable differences. Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:13 AM   #4

Default Goodies Bulk Ink

Hi Digeeedad,

Thanks for your advice, and since I leave my prints inside photo album most of the time, I don't really concern about the "fading" problem, I'll take your word and try out a set of these goodies through mail order.

Let say I would like to keep a set of original cartridge for archival prints (for framing), do you know what is the best way to keep or store an "opened" ink tank so it won't dry up as time goes?

Godspeed70
godspeed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:50 PM   #5

Hi Godspeed,
I'm really not sure as to the advisabability of storage, if you are planning to change carts as a set, every now and then. The Inkjetgoodies "kit" cames with 6 refillable carts. Each of these carts also have an "exit port cap" that can snap off and on. Haven't tried it, but since the IJG carts and the Canon carts are basically the same, I would guess that the exit port caps from the INJ carts will also fit the Canon carts. If this is the case, when storing either of the sets, cap the exit ports, and cover the air vent with scotch tape, and you should be okay. Others may "chime in" here with a thought or two as to longevity for storage of carts. Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote