Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:19 AM   #1

Hi all, read the thread for the waste ink tanks and was blown away with the knowledge out there. I hope someone can help on this topic.
I bought a dye-sub system where my supplier told me to buy the printer as he couldn't supply it as cheap as I could pick it up. He suggested the Epson R230 so I bought it with his CISS.
I've hooked everything up and I believe it is all working well. If I start the printer with a job going or the test page it will begin printing and most of my test pages have been perfect. The prints start coming out fine until about 30mm into the job whereupon the printer stops and spits it out.
If I don't have anything going, the ink light comes on and it won't print anything.
The printer utility says that the black ink cartridge is empty or is not compatible.

My reasoning is as follows; since the test pages come out perfectly, the ink supply works and the electronics work since inpulses are being sent to the piezos to make them fire.
The only thing not working is the "security" measure of the chipsets.

Now this CISS was made specifically for the R230 (amongst others) so should work.
Does anyone have any ideas...has the firmware been updated in the R230s, anyone seen this before?

Should I maybe convert the printer back and use it as a spare and buy something else compatible with my CISS (any suggestions 6 colour T049 carts with Dye Sub Ink)? The supplier is helpful but he's scratching his head and as he doesn't supply the printer I'm in a bit of no-mans land. He has the same system working for him with no problems except his R230 is relatively old.

(thanks for reading thru my essay)
Reeve
Reevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:41 PM   #2

If the printer detects a problem with any chip (not just the black) it will refuse to print.

That it's only the black that's not being recognised properly suggests there might be a problem with that chip or its contacts.

Your CISS supplier should be able to provide you with a spare black chip to check if the original is OK — duds are not unheard of.

That test pages come out correctly does negate that theory a bit, though — test pages are largely black, as a rule.

You could try uninstalling the Epson software, download the latest driver and install it without the utility program and see what happens.

However, my guess is that the cause of printer's failure to print all of a page once it starts will eventually prove to be at the computer end — printers are slave devices intended to do what the originating program tells them, and mostly they do.

Can you print a full page from a simple text program such as Notepad?

If you can then try other, more complex software and see if you can replicate the failure.

You remark that it only starts printing if you turn it on after starting a job — do you mean it will only start printing if you queue the job in the print spooler before you turn the printer on, but refuses to print if the printer is already in standby mode?

This could possibly be a fault in the printer itself.

I'd normally suggest trying it with the original Epson cartridges, but it's probable the ink would react with the dye-sub ink already in the head assembly and cause you grief, so that's out.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:01 PM   #3

Thanks Idle,
just to clarify, I did mean that the jobs were already spooled as the printer was turned on so the printer hadn't time to do its "security check" when it starts so it starts printing. 30 seconds later it finds weird ink chips and stops everything. Therefore I'm pretty sure the problem is at the printer side (also when just starting up normally, the red light comes on right at the end of the startup in a similar fashion).
I'll ask for a replacement black chip (see if he has any) and thanks for the dye ink warning, I ws thinking of doing that to check (phew).
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:08 PM   #4

I tried that with my R310 (turning the printer on with a job already queued) and it went right through the normal setup routine before it started printing, so I'd be looking at something deeper than that — it definitely identifies the chips before it starts printing (as indeed it must — can't print unless it knows where to print and with what...)

Unless it's been changed in your model, which I doubt, if an Epson printer fails to properly identify a chip but can read it, it will warn you that it's not kosher but still print if you over-ride the warning.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 3:36 AM   #5

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, but just spoke with my supplier today and he had another client come back with EXACTLY the same problem, however this client was nearby and came over to go thru it with him.
Turns out there is a problem with that CISS and as soon as my supplier used a different CISS it began to work. He has posted a new one out to me so hopefully I will have some good news in a couple of days.
I must add that this supplier has been really helpful and we've tried a few things over the phone and email. His name is Jeff from The Merchandise Man (on eBay) not sure if it's OK to give him a plug on this forum but he deserves credit for his efforts.