Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:35 PM   #1

When I stopped by to visit my 89 year old mother today, she showed me where her Epson Stylus C66 was displaying a message on the computer that the black ink cartridge should be changed and asked me to do it for her.

After going through the cartridge change procedure, the printer correctly reported the black to be full and the three color cartridges to be at about 80%.

When I tried to print a test document, the printer went through all of the motions, but no ink was applied to the paper.

I went into the maintenance routine for printing a nozzle test with no image on the paper and then ran the option for cleaning the nozzles. Once again, the nozzle test routine produced a clean sheet of paper - no image on any sort even though the printer went through all of the motions including moving the ink carrier back and forth while making incremental advances of the paper.

Anyone have any suggestions?

---------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:45 PM   #2

I have had a similar problem occur with a C86, due to my not pushing the replacement cartridge all the way down until it snapped into place. This caused the cartridge cover to also not completely close. Only thing I can think of offhand.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:01 PM   #3

Thank you for the thought.

I did pull the black cartridge and re-install it to make sure it was fully seated.

While I think the cover is seated, I'll check it again tomorrow.

-------------------------- Bill
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:01 PM   #4

I have confirmed that the 4 cartridges and the cover that snaps over them were all fully seated.

The problem persists.

Epson just tells me to repeat what I have already done.

Any other suggestions?

---------------------- Bill
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:01 PM   #5

Is the printer normally left in standby mode?

If so, try disconnecting it from the power supply for a while.

You might also have a faulty cartridge — it's my belief that most Epson printers are to a great extent controlled via the black chip.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:53 PM   #6

Probably should have asked this at the outset - Was the printer printing normally just prior to the cartridge change? If it has been idle for an extended period, the ink in the nozzles could be dried out, and may need more cleaning, possibly with the SSC service utility which is available for download.

If printer was working normally just prior to the cartridge change, Idle's suggestion of leaving it disconnected from power may help. Don't know if you have tried restarting computer with printer connected, but there is a remote possibility that may help.

I believe there is also a way to have the printer print a test page when not connected to computer, also. That would tell you if the problem is in the printer or the driver.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote