Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:09 AM   #1

If you're in the market for a new printer I highly recommend that you check out the new Kodak line (exclusively at Best Buy until summer).

I just picked up the 5300 and I couldn't be happier. While the prints might not be as crisp as the high-end Canon or Epson...they're still pretty darn good. Better yet is Kodak's claim for 10 cents a print compared to the average 25-30 cents. Black ink is $9 while color (single cart with 5 colors) goes for $14 (there is a combo pack that sells for $21). I was considering the HP 5180 but it cost $10 each for the single color refills (there six...however you can get the combo pack for $36).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ko...inters_pr.html

Any thoughts?????

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:22 AM   #2
JPL

Popular Photography magazine performed a comparison of the Kodak 5300, Epson R580, Canon MP810 and HP C7180 all-in-one printers.

The bottom line was "... the 5300 came in at the bottom of the four in terms of image quality for both prints and scans. And while Kodak can actually claim dramatic saving in ink costs over the competition -- it does so by comparing ...draft quality prints to "lab quality" prints from other manufacturers."

The complete article is at :

http://www.popphoto.com/photoprinter...-shootout.html
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:19 AM   #3

I have to disagree with Pop Photo with review. The prints I've done look very good and arenot draft quality. Granted, I've printed about a dozen pictures mostly on Kodak Ultima Picture paper (Ultra Glossy). Do I think it's in the class of the $300 HP its compared against? Maybe...maybe not. But for $20 ink refills and decent quality prints I think even at $199 this printer will pay for itself in the long run.

Besides any high quality prints I want made will get sent to the lab. There are very few consumer (not prosumer) printers that can produce lab quality prints under $400. I justprinted a couple with the normal 3- star paper and the prints are almost as good as the 5-star paper (a bit duller, but still very nice color). Even if it works out to 12 cents a print that still cheaper that 35-40 cent a print with the likes of HP and Epson.

Engadget has coverage of this topic as well as an interesting rebuttal from a Kodak employee ( http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/04/k...aims-all-talk/ ) .

Steve Billow @ Apr 6th 2007 5:34PM
Hi everybody. I'm a Kodak employee and worked on this inkjet program from the beginning. Popular Photography was kind enough to share some of their methodologies with us and we wanted to share our perspective on this. We hope you get a chance to try these products for yourself.

The Kodak EasyShare All-in-One Printer was recently tested by Popular Photography Magazine, a well
respected publication that provides excellent information for advanced amateur photographers who
print large quantities of color photographs and enlargements at home. The audience for Kodak's new
All-in-One inkjet printer is primarily households that print large quantities of black and white
and color documents in addition to color photos. These consumers are frustrated by the high cost
of ink and are looking for an easier way to print documents and lab-quality photos at home.

The photo-quality test of the Kodak EasyShare 5300 was done using Kodak's 3-star Photo paper. When
using this basic Photo paper, the printer produces a good print at the low price of 10 cents per
print. For bold colored, lab-quality prints, Kodak recommends its 5-star Ultra Premium or 4-star
Premium Photo paper.

The print-yield test was done using four photos typical of advanced amateur shots, with higher
color saturation and more ink coverage. Kodak's internal testing was done with dozens of photos
more representative of typical consumer shots. Results were an average of 180 photos per color ink
cartridge using Kodak 3-star Photo paper, and an average of 135 photos per color ink cartridge
when using Kodak 4-star Premium Photo Paper.

The Kodak EasyShare All-in-One Printers enable consumers to affordably print crisp, sharp
documents and Kodak lab-quality photos at home that will save consumers up to 50 percent on
everything they print. The new printers provide ultimate levels of print quality and ease-of-use,
while offering low total cost of ownership compared to other leading consumer inkjet printers on
the market.

Steve Billow
Writing System Team Leader
Eastman Kodak Company

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:16 AM   #4

Popular photography was not really eating right when they did that review. Sorry but having owned 5 Canon printers including the PIxma 5000 and still the 4300- which is current- having seen the photos that Epson/HP can do (HP through a friend, and demos, Epson through demos) I can say that on the 3 star Paper Kodak IS NOT the "draft quality of other printers." That's just bs.

Moreover PopPhoto review's had several mistakes - which they seem to add after the fact yet they don't modify their conclusion- given that the papers they used for the 3-star paper rating do not have the marks for automatically picking the proper profile- as they admited themselves- their conclusions are completely invalid.

The Kodak is a great printer, PopPhoto's review is incredibly innacurate.

- Raist
raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:27 AM   #5

ohfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 5:10 AM   #6

I would be interested in the Kodak printers if the Color Cart. was not an all-in-one.

I won't buy a printer if the color are NOT seperate carts.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:06 PM   #7

I think this says it all:

Quote:
The prints were dry to the touch and final color changes set in within minutes (similar to the HP and Canon). However, prints made on Kodak's 3-star (6 mil) paper -- which happens to be included in the 180 paper color ink package that Kodak bases its 10 cent per print claim on -- were no better than "draft" quality and deemed unacceptable as photo-quality prints because of their low color saturation. Kodak's price-per-print claim was indeed close with this 3-star paper, and we were able to make 165 borderless color prints from the package (not 180), for a price of 11.5 cents each. However, with lower color images you might actually be able to get 180 prints.***

If you use the more expensive 4-star Premium Photo Quality paper (9-mil thickness) the number of prints from a full color cartridge drops to 80, and the price per print climbs to 37-cents per print. That's more in line with the 4x6-inch prints from the other units tested, and certainly nowhere near the 50% savings claimed by Kodak.
[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:43 PM   #8

The review from Pop Photo is seriously flawed. They used paper that was not properly watermarked so the printer was not able to print with the correct settings. If you go to Pop photo now they have revised the review and make note of this and also state that the photos with 4 and 5 star paper are pretty good.

I have had the printer for over a month and have printed lots of photos that came out very good. If you want to learn more about the printer here is a pretty good review:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Kodak-Easysh...ner-Experience

The follow up to this review mentions how many pictures they were able to get from a cartridge and it is a lot more than the 80 pop photo mentions. The follow up can be found here:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Living-with-...updated-review

Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:50 PM   #9

gwheaton wrote:
Quote:
I would be interested in the Kodak printers if the Color Cart. was not an all-in-one.

Apparently the Kodak single cartridge has different quantities of ink depneding on which is more likely to get used up first. Separate cartridges actually are more of a pain because they all tend to go out at different times which means you will have to keep spares of each and every color! At about $10 bucks a pop for Canon cartridges that means you would spend $60 for full set!! A whole heck of a lot more than the $15 it costs for the single Kodak cartridge. One other problem with separate ink carts is that they are less environmentally friendly.... 6 plastic containers take a lot more resources to make and recycle.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:03 PM   #10

ohfro wrote:
Quote:
gwheaton wrote:
Quote:

Apparently the Kodak single cartridge has different quantities of ink depneding on which is more likely to get used up first. Separate cartridges actually are more of a pain because they all tend to go out at different times which means you will have to keep spares of each and every color! At about $10 bucks a pop for Canon cartridges that means you would spend $60 for full set!! A whole heck of a lot more than the $15 it costs for the single Kodak cartridge. One other problem with separate ink carts is that they are less environmentally friendly.... 6 plastic containers take a lot more resources to make and recycle.
The single carts have more ink though and last a lot longer. They are also a lot easier to refill with Hobbicolors or other decent quality refill ink.
[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote