Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:47 PM   #1

Has anyone tried the refillable ink tanks listed here:
http://www.echostore.com/refillable-...200-mp830.html

I have big fat fingers and I seriously hate those little plugs they give ya to plug the filling holes! Using hot glue has been hit or miss for me - I tend to get too much on top and it hits as the carriage goes across. Tape has worked though.

Reading the refill directions for the product above though their plug looks a lot simpler.

Anyway, anyone tried them?

Thanks!

Steve
slr_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:45 PM   #2

Cutting out the chip and transferring it looks a lot busier than any plug. I've always refilled the original cartridges with good luck. The S9000 and iP4000 didn't have chips to mess with and so far I've avoided hassles with my iP4300. It looks like there is a lot of opportunity to screw up transferring that chip.

A couple years or so back an Aussie who has a company that makes ink suggested a product that isn't available in the US, but I found an equivalent at Walmart. It is a polymer putty they have in the office supply dept. Unfortunately I put mine in a sealable bag and don't have the name. But it is yellow and made for sticking stuff so you can remove it multiple times.

You can cover the hole with that and it works well. I just drill a hole for the refill and seal it with the putty. You have to leach any ink from the hole with a paper towel or really spread the putty though. Don't reuse the putty. You use only a tiny amount and a package will last for hundreds of refills.

Others have had good success with low profile flat screws and small rubber rings. I'm not sure exactly where you drill the hole so the screw doesn't interfere with the carriage, but several people have had success with it. I used a set screw for my HP cartridges and liked that a lot better than anything I've used with the Canon. I would probably use a tiny amount of the putty with the screw instead of rings.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:12 PM   #3

slr_65 wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried the refillable ink tanks listed here:
http://www.echostore.com/refillable-...200-mp830.html

I have big fat fingers and I seriously hate those little plugs they give ya to plug the filling holes! Using hot glue has been hit or miss for me - I tend to get too much on top and it hits as the carriage goes across. Tape has worked though.

Reading the refill directions for the product above though their plug looks a lot simpler.

Anyway, anyone tried them?

Thanks!

Steve
iP4200 or iP4300 REFILLABLE--IS IT WORTH THE HASSLE?

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the valuable contributions! Here's my
situation. I am away from homebase where I use an old HP 4050 laser which is
1000% reliable, offers duplexing AND VERY CHEAP TONER!.

I mainly do text printing, with occasional use of color, for which I use another
competent color printer. But for 6 months or so I am away and need some printer
that is cheap to OPERATE, preferably duplexes. I have been thinking about the
4200 & 4300 because of the attractive printer features. But OPERATING COSTS
are a fixation for me, because I am used to buying a 4050 toner compatible for
$20 and getting 10k prints!

After everything is said and done, is there a fairly simple refillable system available so that I do not have to pay Canon exorbitant costs? I don't give a damn about voided warranty, but I don't like having to throw away the printer because I have locked myself into an absurd profit-making system of the manufacturer.

I hasten to add that I do not do brain surgery for a living and have no competency
with syringes, micro-drills, micro-spouts, sponge replacements, whatever. I just want to operate a nice little printer that works and does not bandrupt me!

So, comments please:

1) Are the 4200 or 4300 worth bothering about?
2) If so, what simple, workable refillable system exists, from whom?
3) If not, what inexpensive workable small printer is recommended instead?

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply!

Best wishes,

Jim (in Canada)
jdc108 is offline   Reply With Quote