Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 8, 2007, 4:38 PM   #1

Suddenly the printer won't print onto cd/dvd, but is still printing on paper.
As you will know, upon hitting 'print' the tray rolls into the printer , adjusts itself back and forth,comes out a way and then goes back in sets itself into the right position and starts to print. Mine is now coming back out but then continuing out! It says that the tray needs to be re-inserted and 'continue' pressed but the same always happens.Anybody had the same problem or suggestions for fixing it please!!??
My backlog of cd/dvd's awaiting printing is growing steadily!

theness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:17 PM   #2

It's not unusual for the drive wheels to slip — if this slows the feed sufficiently the positioning sensor doesn't detect the tray position correctly.

Try giving the tray a slight push as the feed starts.

Also clean the underside of the tray and the tray path, and make sure the clear plastic leading edge of the tray isn't damaged and jamming.

Check that the gap between the platen roller and the (once...) white pressure rollers is opening to allow the tray through

If none of these help, and the tray goes the normal distance through the printer before returning and being ejected, it's possible the positioning sensor has failed or become dirty enough to not read.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:19 PM   #3

Many Thanx for your prompt reply Idle! I did all you said and basically gave the damn thing a good clean. Bob's yer uncle and I'm back in business. Thanx again, but b4 I go could you recommend a replacement printer (must have the print cd/dvd capability) as I think that my faithful old r200 is on its last legs! sigh...
Ness
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:41 PM   #4

Glad you're out of trouble for now.

Re a replacement printer, my inkjet experience over the last decade or so has all been with Epsons, so I'm not really qualified to speak on others.

All the low-range "R" series since the 200/300 have used basically the same mechanism, so if you buy a new one you're pretty much getting the same unit with different firmware, outer case and (I think) print heads.

What gives you to think your 200 is "on its last legs"?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:59 PM   #5

Yeh, me too. I've always had Epson - for the last 7 years. As for my 'last legs' statement, well. I guess that's a bit alarmist as the quality of prints is still very good it's just a few recent problems with ink smudging and running and then this recent 'tray' problem make me a bit nervous!LOL The tray /printer is creaking a bit on entry ha ha and tend s to stick now and again. Is it a good idea to try and take the thing apart a little for a really good clean? or leave it to the pro's?
Thnx again for your help (totally unrelated but I just got an album by Aussie band Silverchair n it's darn good!)
Ness
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
a few recent problems with ink smudging and running and then this recent 'tray' problem make me a bit nervous
The ink smudging and running may be caused by dried ink or other detritus accumulating on the underside of the print heads — you can mostly remove it by laying a strip or two of clean, lint-free cloth wet with ammonia-based window cleaner along the head path, moving the carriage over it, picking up the ends and pulling back & forth.

Run a head clean afterwards.

The CD trays have always been prone to sticking, particularly if used a lot.

Mine has had to be started manually (given a light shove), and helped with the last inch or so of tray ejection for many moons, once moving it's usually OK but does get its bum in a knot occasionally.

Professional cleaning won't get rid of much more than you can do yourself — a bit of judiciously applied compressed air, a damp cloth and a long cotton bud or two works wonders and costs a lot less.

Dismantling the printer is to be avoided if at all possible — getting it lined up correctly afterwards requires either factory jigs or a whole lot of blind luck...