Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:01 AM   #1

We purchased a an Epson Stylus RX580 printer in Dec. 2006. It was a Christmas present, so it wasn't put into use until sometime in January. After less than 3 months of usage, it was printing with black lines on the photographs.
After speaking with tech support, and doing everything I was told to do, I was told I would be getting a NEW printer. I specifically asked if it would be new. After the man put me on hold to check, he came back & told me yes, it would be new. I was required to give my credit card number to hold $179.99, until they reveived the original unit, in return.
The printer I recieved was a refurbished one. I called tech support (they would not connect me to customer service). After trying to tell me I had not tried printing on Epson paper (which I had), and being put on hold twice, the lady came back and told me I would receive a new unit. I had to fax a copy of my original receipt, then it would be taken care of.
After they received the fax, a man called and spoke to my husband. He started giving excuses why a refurbished printer was sent, when my husband told him we were promised a new printer, and that was what we wanted. The man proceeded to tell my husband, that no one had told us we would get a new printer. My husband insisted we were, and that's what we wanted. At that point the man said, "I was going to send you a new one, but now you can just keep the one you have", and then he hung up on my husband. We returned the refurbished one, so my credit card would not be charged. I called customer service. I explained the whole situation. I was told that they have no new units available for replacements. All their new ones are manufactured for retailers. He also said that the warranty clearly states that refurbished units would be sent as replacements.
This is what the warranty states in my user guide: "The replacement printer or part may be new or refurbished to the Epson standard of quality...". That tells me, that there are new units available for replacements. Since it was obvious I was not going to get a new one,
I decided to go with a refurbished unit, rather than come out empty-handed.
I received a refurbished unit. Hooked it up, ready to go......NOT!
I tried to send a photo from the computer to the printer, got the message "Printer not ready to print", which was not the case. So I tried copying a letter. The copy came out light with lots of blank spaces. I ran through 5 or 6 head cleaning cycles, which all but sucked up all the ink in the cartridges. Got smears & blotches of black ink. Tried another black cartridge, same thing. Called Cus. Service (because tech support is a pay call to CA, and I already had over an hour's worth of those calls coming on my phone bill.) She said if tech support said it needed to be replaced, then I could get another [refurb] or a refund. WHAT!!??:? Why wasn't I told this before? Anyway, needless to say, I've opted for the refund. I'm holding my breath, it just sounds too good to be true. Now I'm back to square one- what printer do I buy? I need one withvery good quality photo printing. The photos printed from Epson, [before it went bad, of course], were of excellent color & quality. I would venture a guess & say that most people would think they were printed from film. I also like being able to print directly onto CDs, which the RX580 does.
OK, any suggetions out there?
Thanks!!

neg retoucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:56 PM   #2

Sad story about Epson customer service. It can happen to anyone with any company when the moons and planets are misaligned, or somesuch excuse. Really, that was crummy of Epson. I'll bet if you wrote a letter detailing your experience to the CEO and division heads that you would get a much better result. No one wants to bring down the ire of the company boss.

Regardless, if you are looking for a new printer, and one from a different company, then consider Canon. While no company or printer series is infallible, I have had all good experiences so far with technical support and their printers. The last issue I had was a Cyan ink cartridge that apparently had the wrong chip on it. Tech support sent me a new one at no charge overnight!

You need to give more data on what you want to do with the printer: Pictures, monochrome text, mixed text and color images, duplex printing, automatic document feeding,scanning, scanning negatives (sounds like something you might do considering your name - "Neg Retouch".) As far as printing on CD/DVD's, the Canon's are set up to do it but the one's sold in the USA need to have a very minor adjustment, as well as purchasing the CD Tray off eBay, in order to print on media. It is very easy and there are excellent detailed instructions to be had - http://pixma.allhyper.com/. Thereare several software applications for printing on media available includingthe free CD Label Print software listed on the site. Iprimarily useAcoustica Cd Label Maker.

I have the Canon MP 830 and it prints out very nice pictures and excellent CD/DVD's. The scan quality is good and the auto document feeder and duplex printing is fantastic. It does notscan negatives but it does fax. I am very happy with this unit for what and all it does.

In the Canon line consider the Pixma IP (4xxx and up - only "printers")or MP series (5xx and up - "All In One's"). You can get an idea of which one(s) you like by visiting Canon's web site. There is a compare feature that lists specifics of selected printers side-by-side. also CNet.com has reviews of the printers.

Once you give us a better idea of your needs then you can get better information back.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:13 PM   #3

Thanks, Stratman. I considered the Canon beforeI got the Epson. It was a toss up between the direct CD printing & the negative scanning feature.
I would say that good photo printing is the most important thing. I also want to print out some brochures with text & photos. At this point, I make my living retouching negatives the old fashioned way, but my intention is to get into the digital retouch field. I was ready to print out my brochure when the black lines appeared. So I thank you for the input. I will definately take a second look at the Canon.
neg retoucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:22 PM   #4

If you are going to be scanning film negatives, I would recommend a standalone desktop scanner that has that function. You will typically get better resolutions and be able to do a greater number of negatives/slides scanned per scan with this type of arrangement. One of the other posters will have to help you on this one since I have not done this since 1995 with an HP ScanJet 3C (family slides).

For a Canon printer, consider a 6 or morecolor ink cartridges as found in the IP6XXX and Pro9XXX series printers. The upper level Epsons are fantastic for graphics with many satisfied users, if you want to try that route again. Make sure your paper stock will function with the printer. I'm sure other posters will be glad to give you their thoughts on output quality and durability of whatever printer(s) you are interested in.

Consider a Continuous Ink System (CIS) if you are printing large volumes to save on money. Also, considercolormanagement (ICC profiles)for your monitor, printer and scanner if you want optimal results.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote