Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:06 AM   #1
Juz

i've got a canon ip5000 printer (5 ink: C,M,Y,B (Dye),B (Pigment)) which was working great but now the large pigment black has stopped working.

i initially thought it was just the head that was blocked so i soaked it in meths then washed it through with warm water, but it still didn't work.

i bought a new printhead for it and tried that but again the pigment black ink wouldn't fire. now i have discovered that both heads are working fine (tested in another ip5000) but when i use them in my ip5000 the black pigment ink passes through from the cartridge to the nozzles, but doesn't "fire" from the nozzles onto the paper. instead it just bungs up on the underside of the head.

does anybody have any idea what part of the printer might be causing this problem? i thought the actual bubblejet ink firing process was all controlled and took place within the print head but the heads are fine and it still won't work, so obviously there is another component somewhere in the chain not working.

has anybody experienced a similar problem before, and did you have any success in fixing it?

thanks...
Juz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:12 PM   #2

If it's a bubble-jet (thermal) printer, your description suggests heat isn't being applied — this will be an electrical (current not getting through) or electronic (current not being told to go through) problem and most likely beyond your capacity to fix.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:28 PM   #3

Juz

The malfuctioning part in question would be the Logic Board.
Ink In A Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Juz

ah, thanks for the advice chaps! i guess that is beyond my home repair skills really i may just have to replace the whole printer?

i'm presuming the logic board is not something that canon will sell spares of to end users? i will perhaps phone around a little before getting a replacement printer anyway just to check... don't think there's anything to lose even if i do let myself loose on it's insides with an iron!
Juz is offline   Reply With Quote