Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:56 AM   #1

Default Canon i950 All purpose paper

Hi,

I just bought a new i950 Canon printer on the net, but I can't seem to find any all purpose paper near me. You know, just for text and stuff. I believe at the Canon site it says to use 17lb. plain paper. I can find 20lb., 28lb. etc..., having some trouble with the 17 lb. I can always order the photo paper from Canon, but they don't sell the plain paper at their site either. Anyway, this is becoming such a pain, I might have to return the printer.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:49 PM   #2

Just use the epson bright white paper. Or just about any other 20lbs multiuse paper on the market.

Also pick yourself up a pack of Epson Premium Glossy paper out of the store for 15 bucks. When you use it in your canon use the Pro paper settings. This paper is about a 1/3rd the price of canon pro paper and looks and prints exactly the same.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 2:26 PM   #3

Thank You. Locally I can get the Epson Photo Paper- Premium Bright White Paper, 8.5 inch x 11 inch, 500 sheets for $8.99. It is 24lb. weight, is that okay? At the Canon site for the i950, I was under the impression it needs 17 lbs, but I am not sure I am reading it correctly. I don't want to do anything to damage the printer.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCpr...&section=10214

Thank You for your help. I know you're an Epson man from reading your posts. The reason I bought Canon this time, is I had two different Epson Stylus printers break on me. They did not last long at all with minimal use, and no photo printing. I am plan on using the Canon i950 a lot more, and for text and photo.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:38 PM   #4

I have been running the Kodak Bright White paper through my old Canon S800 (predecessor the the i950) and my new i9100 without any problems, and it is the same weight as the Epson paper. The notation Canon has about the 17 lb. paper is that the sheet feeder will hold 150 sheets of the 17 lb. paper. You will be able to load about 100 (or less sheets) of the 24 lb. papers, but it will still work fine. You may get into feed problems with excessively thick (over 28 lb.) or thin (less than 17 lb.)
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 4:39 PM   #5

Okay great, thank you very much dcrawley.

Canon has a lot of photo paper, but they don't have their own bright white, they should get some, *lol*.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:22 PM   #6

At one time Canon did because I bought some in Jan 2002 at the same time I bought my S800 and it was great paper. Don't know what happened there, but their loss. The High resolution paper is also very good, but too expensive for everyday printing.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 1:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Thank You. Locally I can get the Epson Photo Paper- Premium Bright White Paper, 8.5 inch x 11 inch, 500 sheets for $8.99. It is 24lb. weight, is that okay? At the Canon site for the i950, I was under the impression it needs 17 lbs, but I am not sure I am reading it correctly. I don't want to do anything to damage the printer.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCpr...8757žion=10214

Thank You for your help. I know you're an Epson man from reading your posts. The reason I bought Canon this time, is I had two different Epson Stylus printers break on me. They did not last long at all with minimal use, and no photo printing. I am plan on using the Canon i950 a lot more, and for text and photo.
Well the Canon i950 was designed more as a photo printer. But realise that photo paper are far thicker than 17lbs. Closer to 70lbs paper.

Yeah I'm more an Epson person. But when you buy the paper make sure you get Epson Premium GLossy paper. Don't get Epson Photo Glossy paper you'd be better off with the canon glossy plus on that stuff.

The Canon i950 is a very good printer for photos. But if you are planning on running alot of text.(more than 20 pages a week) I'd reccomend looking for a used HP from somebody who doesn't want thiers anymore make sure it uses the black cartridge whos number ends in 45a. That ink tank will last you about 2000 pages just about every time.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:28 AM   #8

Default RE:

I had some kodak bright white paper laying around and this works great for straight black type.

I have heard that the i950 doesnt produce very crisp text, but i have been satisfied with the quality of type it does do. I wouldn't print a resume out on it but for everyday use its alright, albit, it uses quite abit of the black ink up, it could get expensive.

Don
Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote