Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:25 AM   #1

Default Canon vs Epson on artist papers and card stock??

How is the Canon i9100 or i950 for printing on non photographic paper - ie card stock and specialty art papers?? Can they compete with the Epson 2200 for that purpose?? I am not a photographer, but rather an artist and will want to print cards and copies of my paintings in addition to family photos. From some reading I have done it sounds like inks (in general) may last longer on non glossy paper - is this true?. Longevity is not the only issue for me, the quality of the printout on matte and art papers in as important.
Any advice? :?
sbstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:50 PM   #2

For advertising and Flyer type printing I reccomend checking into an Epson c82. Its pigment inks will do better for that purpose.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 12:19 PM   #3

Default Re: Canon vs Epson on artist papers and card stock??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstudio
How is the Canon i9100 or i950 for printing on non photographic paper - ie card stock and specialty art papers?? Can they compete with the Epson 2200 for that purpose?? I am not a photographer, but rather an artist and will want to print cards and copies of my paintings in addition to family photos. From some reading I have done it sounds like inks (in general) may last longer on non glossy paper - is this true?. Longevity is not the only issue for me, the quality of the printout on matte and art papers in as important.
Any advice? :?
The answer to your question is not simple. First, you must deal with print quality issues. Second you have to deal with longevity issues.

When it comes to quality, the Epson 2200 produces very high quality prints especially on art papers. However, if you are interested in printing photographs on glossy paper, the output of the Canon will be more traditional. That is because the Canon uses Dye based inks which soak right into the paper whereas the Espon 2200 uses pigment based inks which tend to stay on the surface (much like an artists paints). When the 2200 prints on glossy paper, the pigment sits on top and at certain angles you can see the differences in reflectivity between the different colors of ink. (This effect is often called metamerism or bronzing -- though I am told it is not actually bronzing). If such a print is displayed under glass, much of that problem goes away (I am surrounded by such prints at the moment).

When printing on matte or art papers, this effect doesn't appear. There are also luster papers which have some of the characteristics of both. (I tend to print photographs on luster with the 2200...)

Now to longevity. The difference in longevity between these two ink sets is astonishing! Prints on high quality glossy paper using an Epson 870/1270 (about the best dye ink printer around for longevity) will last about 10 years under "normal" conditions. The same print on the same paper but printed with a 2200 will last over 50 years!

Go to the Wilhelm Imaging Research web site for more information including the results of tests on various papers...

In the long run, you pays your money and takes your choice. The 2200 will be substantially more expensive to buy and to operate. However the resulting prints will last a LOT longer!

I hope this helps,
<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:04 PM   #4

i just grabbed a c82 for $36 from Best Buy after rebates due to the c84 is just around the corner.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 7:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
i just grabbed a c82 for $36 from Best Buy after rebates due to the c84 is just around the corner.
That's a heck of a good buy for that printer. Remember that it is really a plain paper printer. It doesn't work well on glossy paper at all...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedj101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
That's a heck of a good buy for that printer. Remember that it is really a plain paper printer. It doesn't work well on glossy paper at all...

<TED>
It does better than the c80 did for glossy prints. And actually printing photos that are going to be in a frame and whatnot are not bad. Plain paper and matte papers are excelent with it. Thats why I say get a c82 for the flyer stuff because the ink is pretty damn cheap and it does an exceptional job on plain papers not to mention lasts as long as the flyer will ever be needed.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote