Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 11, 2007, 2:48 AM   #1

I recently bought a Canon Pixma iP3300 photo printer which I use for photos taken with a Kodak Z612.

Whenever I print photos, the prints turn out noticeable darker than what you can view on a laptop LCD screen.

I used standard glossy photo paper and the the supplied software of Canon.

Whenever I need to get better results, I have to run the photos through an editing software to lighten the photos.

What could be the reason for the darkened photos?

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 9:04 PM   #2

A lot of issues to deal with here:

1. Monitors produce there own light and so the colors will look differen't then a photo which uses whatever lighting is in the room, which can have a profound impact on it.

2. You said it was a laptop screen which means it may not be the best quality, they are usually made for the best energy savings for longer battery life. Also low end LCD's also are not reliable for accurate colors. People still use CRT's or very expensive LCD's monitor to get the best color match.

3. Different technologies altogether, you will never get a perfect match between what is seen on screen and what is printed.

4. Do a color test print:

http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/4800test.zip

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Prin...20file.jpg.zip

More info here: http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:32 PM   #3

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
A lot of issues to deal with here:

1. Monitors produce there own light and so the colors will look differen't then a photo which uses whatever lighting is in the room, which can have a profound impact on it.
Thanks for your response.

I was told by a photographer that the way a digicam handles color (RGB?) and the way printers handle color (CYM?) is the culprit.

As such, you will always have a difference in color rendition when printing directly from the camera image to a photo printer. Some amount of photo editing is needed.

Can you comment on this?
Old May 27, 2007, 2:33 PM   #4

Try the following setting: Choose for glossy photo paper, quality: high and then for colour/intensity for manual and then set the different bars to the following settings:

Choose: ICM

Cyan: +10, Magenta: -18, Yellow: -10

For me it worked great and print colours are aproximating those ones on my LCD screen quite well. Not sure it will work for you: have a try !
pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:28 PM   #5

pharmacist wrote:
Quote:
Try the following setting: Choose for glossy photo paper, quality: high and then for colour/intensity for manual and then set the different bars to the following settings:

Choose: ICM

Cyan: +10, Magenta: -18, Yellow: -10

For me it worked great and print colours are aproximating those ones on my LCD screen quite well. Not sure it will work for you: have a try !
Thanks a lot. I'll try these settings.

Gary