Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:57 PM   #1

Default Canon i950 fades in 2 weeks

I have a i950 and am very embarrassed/unhappy to report that 2 prints I have made in B&W have faded within 2 weeks of being printed. I printed on Canon "Pro" photopaper. One of the prints was 4x6 and completely faded within 2 weeks, the black becoming blackish-red. The other was a 8x10 that was mainly matted by paper. When I took the print out from behind the matt 2 weeks later, you could easily tell the exposed from unexposed print. Neither print was EVER exposed to direct light or other elements.

I can't believe I am the only one with this experience. I'd love to hear others experiences and find out if there is any solution.
DocDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:48 AM   #2

Hi DocDave,
You definately aren't the "only person with this experience", but perhaps aren't looking at the most productive forum for getting answers and replies to your concerns. If you have not done so, I would very highly recommend that you visit the Dpreview.com "Printers and Printing Forum". The subject of i950 and all inkjet fading problems have been the topic of discussion MANY times there. Some very knowlegeable forum participants there, and the forum is visited quite a bit more than this one. Here is the link to the forum if interested. Curt
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:50 AM   #3

Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:26 AM   #4

Default RE:

Interesting,

I have had my i950 since June and have printed a number of prints on both the Canon PPP and the Canon Matte Paper... Neither has faded a bit that I can tell. I have them handing up at work.

I will print the same pics out tonight and compare them with the ones from 2 months ago, but as far as i can tell there has been no fading.

Course I am not near any windows at work but do work under harse floresent (SP) lighting.

Don
Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:40 AM   #5

Hello Doc: I have this printer and really like it. I did learn early on that the printed photos need to dry for as much as 24 hours as Canon recommends in information sheets within their packages of paper. After I started giving the prints time to dry or whatever you call it, my problems with final output changes went away. I hope this helps.
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:18 AM   #6

Thanks!! Both of my prints that faded dried at least 24 hours in the air. Have you tried B&W prints? I love the output of this printer, but the amount of fading of my black ink (to red/black) is unacceptable. I have the same print that I placed in a plastic protector and it has yet to fade, so I guess the exposue to air has some part of the problems.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:16 PM   #7

Default RE:

DocDave,

I tried to PM you but can't seem to PM on these boards,

To answer your question, no i havent had any fading, course I ran out of the canon ppp paper and picked up some epson premium glossy paper so its not the same paper. But havent noticed any fading...

I have not printed any BW shots out yet but I have done a few to sepia tone I have a 8x10 sitting on my piano at home, its in my picture window and in a frame under glass, I didnt notice any fading there but that is on the canon matte paper, I also have a few other 4x6 prints on the piano not in a frame, I am gonna print out a test image on the printer and see if it is any brighter than the ones on the piano...

Don Lamb

Canon G2 and Canon i950
Don Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote