Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:20 AM   #1

Default Cleaning Heads on an Epson 820

Not sure what is wrong, I 've spent about 1/2 of an ink cartridge celaning and the heads and an still getting streaks through test print. Is there another way I can clean the heads...really annoying, it happens so often.

Any help?

THanks
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 3:44 AM   #2

Are you cleaning the heads via the driver or the button on the front? You should be using the cleaning cycle in the driver since this will give a more thorough cleaning each progressive clean.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:05 AM   #3

I am using the Driver to clean.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:25 AM   #4

Look on just about any search engine ie yahoo,dogpile and search for Epson printhead cleaning.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 4:44 AM   #5

The best way to keep any epson from clogging is to print frequently. My wife works in a police department and they have two 820's that used to clog rather frequently due to lack of use. They have a laser that does all the B/W reports. Anyway, I suggested that my wife (the secretary) either print to them every other day or run a cleaning cycle. Since she has started doing this they have no clogging problems, however they do use more ink.

The best way I have found to unclog a stubborn Epson is to turn off the power and unplug the printer. GENTLY slide the printheads to the left. You will see a foam pad where the heads park. Put a few drops of Windex brand glass cleaner on the pad. slide the heads back into the park position. Let it soak overnight. The next day, plug in and power it up and you should have success. You may have to repeat this if the heads have really clogged bad. I was able to get an Epson 740 working when NO nozzles were working. The printer had not been used for at least a year! I cleaned it as above two times and it has been working for about two years now.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 11:53 AM   #6

Default Re: Cleaning Heads on an Epson 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz
Not sure what is wrong, I 've spent about 1/2 of an ink cartridge celaning and the heads and an still getting streaks through test print. Is there another way I can clean the heads...really annoying, it happens so often.

Any help?

THanks
Go to http://www.inkjetart.com/ and search on cleaning tips. There is an article there (illustrated) in which they took apart an Epson printer such as yours and cleaned it up. In the process, they learned that almost as much can be done without taking the printer apart. It's very worth while!

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 3:38 AM   #7

here's a link to inkjetart with the windex fix:

http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/cleaning.html
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:12 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies folks.