Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1

Default best printer for 3.1 megapixel camera

I bought a digicam a couple years ago that does 2160x1440 pixel images and I'm finally ready to get a photo printer to make some hard copies.

Will I be wasting my money getting a printer that makes prints larger than 8x10 with a 3.1MP camera? In my limited research it appears the quality of a 3.1MP image will degrade if you enlarge much beyond 8x10.

Also, I don't intend to use a photo printer every day... it might be a month between photo print jobs, with an occasional color document or topographic map printing in between. I've heard photo ink jet printers might clog if you don't use them often... is this a concern?

Thanks in advance for your advice;
Steve_o
steve_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:00 AM   #2

Steve...

Some folks will tell you that you're wasting your money to buy a wide carriage inkjet printer with a three megapixel camera. I have had great success printing Super A size (13 X 19") pictures taken with my Canon Pro90 2.6 MP camera. I "rez up" my pictures with Genuine Fractals.

The issue of clogging exists to some extent with all inkjet printers. Leaving one unused for a few weeks will almost certainly cause problems. I love Epsons, other folks hate them. They have a bad reputation for clogging... I print a lot.

Make sure you look into the cost of ink. I use third party ink. This isn't a practical approach with HP's because the print heads are included with the cartridge. The upside is that a clogged head is solved by installing a new cartridge. HPs are excellent printers, but cost more to operate than some others.

No matter what printer you buy, the cost of ink and paper will be more than the cost of the printer by the end of the first year.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote