Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 28, 2007, 1:56 PM   #1

Maybe an alternative method could be developed to monitor the ink level: why not making a special adapter which actually sits underneath just above the optical sensors (thin enough not the intervene with the printer's sensor, but thick enough to actually to sense light breaking changes (i.d.: sensing the ink is running low).

This sensor can then be linked with a very thin and flexible cable (which eventually can be attached to the internal white printhead cable and then outside the printer coupled to an USB-connector. Or perhaps coupled with the USB-printer cable as an intermediate plug. Since the cable can be made very thin and small -unlike the thick valves from a CISS-system- problems with printercaps not able to close should be minimised.

Software can be written that actually intersects the information from the sensor to give you warning that one or more inktanks are running low or even trick the ink monitor for Canon itself (should be possible by reverse engineering the pulses/information sent to the computer by the printer).

If the sensor can not be made too thin, without hindering refilled cartridges, then eventually special (refillable) cartridges can be made with a indentated bottom which can fit perfectly over this sensor. Since the ink level monitor is already disabled to enable further printing with refilled cartridges I don't think it actually matters if the sensor should be transparant or not to let the printer see any optical changes from the prisms above, but this can be implementated to be sure off.

Eventually wireless versions can be made with a battery inside the sensor which sends it's signal to a USB-adapter which must be plugged in between the printer and the outcoming USB-printercable (this should be longlasting since only a signal should be sent before a printing command and then maybe every 5 minutes during printing). RFID technology may be applied to enable this feature, making it even a more elegant solution.

Has nobody thought about this solution ? Since this does not infringe Canon's patents concerning their chips, you are able to choose any refill ink you wish to use, for those wishing to have a effective ink monitor level not chained to Canon's expensive cartridges or changing chains to the Armor/GEHA proprietary Tuning Kit (which give you an alternative for ink monitoring, but is only slightly cheaper than the original ones from Canon itself, since the chips on the Armor/GEHA cartridges are themselves encrypted as well !!!).

This in fact is a total new concept to give you an alternative for an efficient ink monitor system, that -when the software is written carefully- even can prevent printing when the sensor detects an "out of ink" level in one or more in the cartridges sitting above it, making it even more effective than Canon's chip method, since a lot of people are complaining about half full cartridges even when the chip says "empty"!!!

Of course you still need the original chips for thissystem to work, but that is same case for the Armor/GEHA tuning system: they actually are collecting empty Canon cartridges for the chips to be built into their tuning adapters. If you buy their Tuning Kit, you will get a 1:1 exchange forone old empty cartridge (with chip) for one new full GEHA/Armor corresponding cartridge with their own proprietary chip attached on it.
pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2

Expensive Cartridges? OMG! Have you EVER made any comparisons from Canon ink to HP? The black cartridge that my friend uses, for his HP contains a WHOPPING 5ML of ink, for $23 price. My PG5 Black, has 26ml of black in it, for $17! *CLEARLY* that's more ink for your money w/Canon.

And to make mention of your idea, obviously too, you have never been thinking from the side of the manufactuers and "how" they make money. Finally, Canon does put more R&D into their units and I think gives you more for your money, but all of the printer makes MAKE the bulk of their money on the consumables, ink, paper, ect. So you get more ink/printing with Canon. You also have prints that last a LONG time. Refilled inks are typically not rated with the same longevity as the genuine inks. Also, color matching goes out the window when you use someone else's ink/color.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:09 PM   #3

I don't know ifit is known around here, but I found this on a Dutch printer supplies manufacturer, 'KVM Supplies'. It is an adaper to be placed inside printers with PGI5/CLI8 cartridges and it alleges to work withtheir compatible cartidges without a chip.

http://www.wecare.nl/hulpvragen/gebr...ingwec4259.htm

They say it works just asCanon OEM cartidges, with 'chipwise' monitoring of ink levels and without the warranty void warnings. The problem is, it costs over €60,- (including8 ink carts)

http://futurescience.nl/layout/index...;product=61983

Any thoughts on this?
Ecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:03 AM   #4

Yes, I would quesiton the "adapter" they show they are using; would this be their own version of the Canon print head adapter? That means that would have made their own print head assembly? And I wouldn't want to mess w/canon FNE print head assemble, unless they some how just "removed that section" and kept the "head itself" - where the nozzles are, and reattached that on their own adapter. I can't read the language that the prior link is in, so I'm not sure. Any else?
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:16 AM   #5

Hi,

This tuning kit is made by Artech. The same company making the GEHA/Armour tuning kit in Germany. Besides: in Germany the GEHA tuning kit is less expensive (about 50 euro) and works great !!! Be careful with the latest IP4500 printer, since Canon has changed the firmware to counter the Artech adaptor. But Artech produced a newer version of it to combate the IP4500. So if you buy a Artech/GEHA/Armour/Wecare tuning kit (all the same !!!), be sure it is the latest version when you have a IP4500 printer.
pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote