Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 29, 2007, 1:21 AM   #1

Hey guys- my first post, so pls be gentle. Checked the forums for this issue, but didn't find a solution...

Just installed a CIS for my Epson R210, and the Red "out of ink" light won't go away- which stops me using any of the counter resetters etc in the software or getting anything useful out of the printer at all. I even tried putting in the old original cartidges, but it still says out of ink...

Strangely, with NO cartridges in there at all it behaves the same way.... normal start noises n movement... then on the last movement, the red ink light comes on.

Tried various "power off" procedures mentioned elsewhere online... no luck
Doing my head in.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andrew =)
loudboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 7:03 AM   #2

As a rough guess, I'd say there's a problem somewhere

Sounds like a circuit failure to me.

Maybe a dirty contact on one of the cartridge chips (you did make sure the carts go fully home?) or a damaged spring connector (the tiny fingers that make contact with the chips) in the cartridge carrier.

Be super careful of these, they're fragile and if you bend one it's next to impossible to get right — never, ever, put in a cartridge with no chip attached as it will catch and bend the contacts when you take it out.

Do you get an on-screen error message from the Epson monitor?

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3

Hi! Thanks for the reply...

"(you did make sure the carts go fully home?)" What do u mean "fully home"?

I just took the carts out and cleaned the contacts etc... I did have to push them a bit to make them click into place, tho the contact arm things seem fine to look at.

The software isn't helping much, coz it says can't communicate with printer in "current mode"... (stuffed?)

How can I convince this thing that I really do have ink carts in it?

Thanks =)

loudboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:43 AM   #4

From the R200/210 service manual:

Power light blinking + ink light on -- This error is detected when a defective cartridge is installed in the printer (in) which the Initial Ink Filling is not done yet.

Ink light on (continuous) -- This error is detected when replacing the Ink Cartridge, if the new cartridge is defective (usually means either that the chip isn't recognised as an Epson chip, or maybe isn't working, so not even read.)

This indication also applies for: Ink consumption reached 100% (cart replacement time, shouldn't apply to you ) and for No Cartridge Installed, which means you'll get the same error message if you start the printer with the cartridge removed.

Suggestion, therefore, is that the offending cartridge is faulty — there's very likely nothing wrong with the printer.

I'd definitely take it up with the CIS vendor.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote