Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 30, 2007, 12:54 PM   #1

I think my Canon i9950 is slowly dying. It periodically switches itself off duing a print, and I have to unplug and replug it to get it to work again, which is a little alarming. I tried a new plug and that didn't work and am currently trying a different USB cable and so far so good, but I don't trust it not to die again.

I love the 9950 as it's quick, quiet and most importantly, I print a lot, and can get nice cheap ink which works very well indeed. I believe I will have to replace my beloved printer very soon, and am looking at A3 inkjet replacements based partly on quality of print, but most importantly on ink cartridge cost. It seems the greedy folks at Canon now chip all their new products, and whilst you can remove the chip and put it on a compatible cartridge, you no longer get an ink level reading, and I can't be checking the ink every few prints, or ruining expensive print mediums with streaky prints to let me know the ink has almost run out. I'm wondering if I might have to say goodbye to Canon and try something else.

Can anyone recommend a half decent A3 photo printer, that does take cheap third party ink, without any hassles? I've been taking a peek at Epson, and they seem reasonable but the ink still isn't half as cheap as that for my Canon, at least here in the UK.
banzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2007, 12:07 AM   #2

I know naught or thereabouts of Canons, but why not look at something you can get a CIS for — there's no cheaper way of printing that I know of, and there are reliable conversions out there if you choose carefully.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 2:50 AM   #3

This morning I have a serious, red service error 5200, and from what I can gather, either the logic board or printhead has burnt itself out! Might explain why the printer turned itself off on 3 occasions. It's completely dead now! I will have to spent all weekend searching a quick replacement. Maybe CIS is the way to go - are they difficult to set up?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:18 AM   #4

Sadly it doesn't get any better. I invested on a next day delivery of an Epson2400 and bought a CIS from another company for this printer. I had nothing but problems getting consistent quality prints from the Epson, and quite a few jams which messed up my nice expensive media. It was created all sorts of banding issues from the subtle to the not so subtle, despite 4 head cleans, so I'm sending it back, and had to arrange for the CIS (still boxed and unused) to go back as well (unfortunately I have to incur shipping costs on this one). I'm going back to canon! I may later take a gamble and try buying a new printhead for the i9950 to see if that fixes it.

I did get a few decent prints out of the Epson, so I have to say, I'm sure that when it works, it's an excellent printer.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 1:40 AM   #5

I'd have taken it up with Epson before sending it back — the R2400 doesn't have a name for being unduly troublesome.

I've been operating an R310 (cheap and cheerful and not wide-carriage) for the last two and a half years — it's had a CIS installed from new and print-wise it rarely misses a beat.

When it does it's usually something I've done (or not done...)

It does need babying mechanically, though — as you'd expect at the price, I suppose.

I did just have to put in another CIS (bottle quality problem — a seam started to come unstuck and ink leaked into the container I (luckily) keep the bottles in.)

The new one has later chips as well, so hopefully won't do as many head cleans as the earlier setups did.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:47 PM   #6

it's actually quite a gamble alright! getting a new printhead! i'd send it for canon to determine what the problem is first if i were you. i made the mistake of not doign that but getting an expensive replacement printhead for my canon and it too refused to output color which meant the circuitry of the printer itself is spoilt! it ended up burning up my bnrand new print head!
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote