Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:44 AM   #1

I have just ordered replacement inks for my epson r200, and now i have the infamous red lights.... waste pad is full! I managed to (or think i did) break my last r200 while trying to get at the tube to fit into a waste bottle. Ive searched loads of forums on the web but cannot find the images i that used to be available on how to fit a waste bottle....

please help, would be grateful for any links to images or instructions on how to carry out the above procedure.

cheers
Nicky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:15 AM   #2

You must have been quite enterprising to actually break your printer doing this:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=40

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:17 AM   #3

Oops! double post! Page isn't responding all that well.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:02 PM   #4

thanks Idle, i had actually managed to set up a waste bottle before I realised you had responded to my post exactly as the directions say... and thought it was working well i had to extend the waste tube.But now i have ink "spewing" over the small pad with the 2 Xs on and the pad at the side of that. My paper is covered in ink spill and the ink im wasting is unbelievable! any ideas what if anything ive done wrong?If the hole in the waste bottle wasnt larger than the tube, therefore not allowing air to escape it would vacuum the ink through the CIS i assume
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:03 PM   #5

managed to post same message again.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:03 PM   #6

and again!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:42 PM   #7

Nicky2 wrote:
Quote:
thanks Idle, i had actually managed to set up a waste bottle before I realised you had responded to my post exactly as the directions say... and thought it was working well i had to extend the waste tube.But now i have ink "spewing" over the small pad with the 2 Xs on and the pad at the side of that. My paper is covered in ink spill and the ink im wasting is unbelievable! any ideas what if anything ive done wrong?If the hole in the waste bottle wasnt larger than the tube, therefore not allowing air to escape it would vacuum the ink through the CIS i assume
Make sure there's no blockage in the line from the parking pads (the ones with the "two X's") via the waste pump to your container — you may have kinked it when leading it through the rear hatch (that you had to extend it suggests it isn't right — I've now done several exactly as shown in the tutorial and all have reached the container quite nicely.)

Ensure that you've brought the tube through the hatch at or near the bottom so there's no likelihood of backflow.

Check that the outlet is lower than the pump and that the delivery point is always above the ink level in the container.

Thinking about it, though, unless you have ink being pushed above the pump and able to syphon back I can't see the waste system being the culprit here — if there's a blockage then the pump just won't pull any ink from the cartridges in the first place, same if you've somehow managed to disconnect it.

If either happened your first indication that something was amiss would probably be ink clogs and poor printing, not a flood such as you've described.

Check the siting of your CIS bottles — they should be on about the same level as the printer base, if too high you'll get gravity flow through the heads into the parking pads and exactly the result you've described.

Also the ink bottles shouldn't be totally filled — always leave a little air space.

And no, it's physically impossible for ink to be drawn back through the heads into the CIS — from the cartridges, perhaps but unlikely, definitely not through the heads from the pads, and then only if there's sufficient vacuum to break the air seal somewhere.

If this happened there would be no ink to leak, so no flood.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:05 AM   #8

Idle wrote:

And no, it's physically impossible for ink to be drawn back through the heads into the CIS

thanks Idle,

Its not exactly syphoning back through the CIS, just lots of ink over the parking pads.

Ink is being drawn to the waste bottle when its doing a cleaning cycle - so i guess no kink in tube.

got CIS ink tanks on same level as printer

willleave trap door off and see if its any better, not got waste tube coming through right at bottom of trap door, could be causing a problem.

my cartridges that the CIS go into look like theres air in them, showing air in the little window where you can see ink, guess thats not good.

im also getting ink cartridges not recognised.

Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:26 AM   #9

Looks like your problem is the CIS — there may be leakage round the seal where the ink spike enters the cartridge — I had to discard a CIS for the same reason some while ago.

This could well account for both air in the cartridges and ink leaking into the printer.

Check this as a matter of urgency — if ink leaks into the electronics of the printer it will short (write-off...)

Failure to recognise the cartridges doesn't look good either — if all is in order the printer shouldn't know the difference.

Has it always failed, or is this a new phenomenon?

If it's recognised them OK in the past it might only be dirty chip contacts.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:14 AM   #10

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Looks like your problem is the CIS — there may be leakage round the seal where the ink spike enters the cartridge — I had to discard a CIS for the same reason some while ago.

This could well account for both air in the cartridges and ink leaking into the printer.

Check this as a matter of urgency — if ink leaks into the electronics of the printer it will short (write-off...)

Failure to recognise the cartridges doesn't look good either — if all is in order the printer shouldn't know the difference.

Has it always failed, or is this a new phenomenon?

If it's recognised them OK in the past it might only be dirty chip contacts.
It has failed to recognise the cartridges in the past, and when i wipe the chip contacts it usually works. When the CIS and cartridges are out of the printer the ink flows from the outlet holes in the bottom of the cartridges, when placed upright.