Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 6, 2003, 7:48 AM   #11

I've just bought an Epson 900 (for printing cd/dvds) as it was half price and the colour photo prints are completely different to my Canon i850, all test prints were done on default auto settings with no manual tweaking.

The Canons prints are closer to the actual photo but with more vivid greens, flesh tones seem OK with no obvious green cast. The Epsons print of the same photo is much darker (20% at a guess) and much more saturated with reds being heavy and skin tones being more pink than normal.

I've tried using Canon and Epsons best quality photo paper and my usual standard paper (Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss or Pearl) and the results are the same.

Do i need to find colour profiles for the printers?

Two points where the Canon scores heavily are,

1. Speed, full A4 borderless photo in just over 2 mins, Epson 7 mins plus

2. Draft quality, normally I'm either printing from the web or quick documents for the kids etc. I have the Canon set on draft as default and with decent plain paper it's very good, colours are saturated and text is black & sharp, the Epson is exremely pale with washed out colours.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 10:54 AM   #12

Yes, the SPEED factor is a MAJOR advantage for the Canon. This is why I am persisitng with the i950. I keep thinking it must be user error. Also I am on the Mac and there isn't any advice for Mac users on the internet with the i950.

So I am going to try switching to the PC (which I already have several machines) then I can at least follow some of the instructions on the internet from advisors. The biggest problem will then be the fact I have Photoshop Elelments, instead of photoshop, as all the advice is for PS. But hopefully Elements is close enough.

Anyway, my point is that the i950 speed is so fantastic that I am persisting with trying to fix the other problems I have with it rather than sell it on ebay and switch to another printer.

Anyone getting the colors to match etc care to post their workflow?
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote