Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:26 AM   #1

Default i950, cloudy or dull prints, help!

I just got a new i950, but I am not happy. Using Canon paper. The prints all look like they have a film over them, or lack punch, like they need auto levels or something. My monitor is an NEC LCD, and I have tried to calibrate it as best I can in Profile Prism. The pix look fine on the screen, but regardless of profile or printing program all lack punch or are dull and unattractive. Is there a printer setting or better paper to use?
mtichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:49 AM   #2

Hi mtichon,
If you are using Canon Photo Paper Pro, my guess would be that you are judging the quality of the prints, by what they look like as they emerge from the printer.
If you leave them to "dry" and come back in several hours or especially 12-24 hours later, you will be astonished by the "magical" transformation. that has taken place! This seems to be a normal characteristic of the Canon PPP paper. Perhaps this is also the case with the Photo Paper Plus.
I have been using Office Depot's Premium High Gloss Photo Paper, Satin Gloss, and Ilford's Galarie Classic Pearl with terrific results. I am also using ink from Inkjet Goodies. Refill kit and carts end up costing around $1 per refill instead of $11.50.
http://www.inkjetgoodies.com/
Another forum that might be of help to you is the Printers and Printing Forum @ Dpreview. MANY i950 users there, with usually a much higher response to questions etc. Curt
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:32 PM   #3

Default Avoid Canon

Unfortunately, I have waited a week and there was no magical transformation. I wonder why Steve never encountered the problem? I guess the moral is to avoid enthusiastic reviews and get a good return policy.

Mike
mtichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:32 PM   #4

Hi Mike,
Wow, sorry to hear that waiting didn't change anything! There HAS to be something "wrong with this picture", :-( as my experience has been very different. As compared to my former S800 Canon, which was very good!, the neew I950 has far less grain, more vivid colors and a LOT more life-like "snap".
Before you get too discouraged, I really encourage you to visit the Printers and Printing Forum and run your questions and concerns past others that are far more well versed than I. Good luck. Curt
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 5:29 PM   #5

The results I'm getting from the Canon i950 have been excellent. I'm shooting a variety of subjects with a Canon EOS1D; and my prints are coming out much better than what I was able to achieve on my Olympus 400 dye-sub.

Try using Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight and make your screen image just slightly lighter than you want it to print. If that film look continues, I'd exchange the printer because it may be defective.
45broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:46 PM   #6

I agree with Digeeedad. I have stepped up to the i9100 from my S800 and am not having those same issues, even though the printhead in the i9100 is a little different than the i950.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:44 PM   #7

I'd be interested to know if you have any luck. I bought my printer a few months back so I guess I cant return it. But I always need to add somethiing to the effect of autolevels to get the prints to come alive. Of course Autolevels overdoes it.

I posted elsewhere here and was informed that Canon black is 30% lighter than Epson! This explains partly why my old Epson Stylus Color 900 produces much more vivid (and much more color accurate so far) photos than my new i950 which is disappointing.

I've tried setting black point to make the i950 more vivid / bold, but it's still not as black as what I think it should be.

Anyone have advice on how to determine if, in fact, a printer like such as the i950 is defective?
RobJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 2:27 PM   #8

(double post)
Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:45 PM   #9
Administrator

I've never had any problems with prints from any of the Canon printers that I have reviewed. I do not "pump up" anybody's products if they don't work as advertised. I personally own and use a Canon i9100 and had the s9000 before that and they deliver one gorgeous print after another. You do need to let the prints sit for about 15 mins to half an hour for the color to be correct, right out of the printer they have a bit of a blue-green cast to them until the cyan layer of inks dries in properly.

I have recv'd many, many emails from folks who have bought one of the new Canon printers and they are all thrilled and amazed by their speed and quality.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:15 AM   #10

Thanks Steve,

Could you please post your workflow: monitor calibration / settings, (color workspace), embedding the files before printing? Printer settings etc?

I am aware of the colors needing to "cure" after drying.

Please specify if you are on Mac or PC.

Thanks again!